Do PDs filter for language fluency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

winterchill

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to celebrate after yesterday's ERAS submission but I realized I left off that I'm a native English speaker. (I had only added the other languages in which I was "Good"). :bang:

Background-wise, I'm a US citizen at a top 25 medical school and didn't feel too bad at first because I assumed my application and personal statement would demonstrate my English fluency. Now I am remembering all the ERAS filters available to PDs and I'm concerned they'll screen applications for "English-Native "and mine will be trashed before it's ever reviewed.

None of my classmates were this dumb. Please give me hope.

Members don't see this ad.

No one will care if the rest of your application is strong. No one. Serious. Do not worry about this. I have seen people in incredibly competitive residency programs whose English skills are less than polished. No one cares. You're going to do fine. Don't stress.

Reactions: 1 users
No one will care if the rest of your application is strong. No one. Serious. Do not worry about this. I have seen people in incredibly competitive residency programs whose English skills are less than polished. No one cares. You're going to do fine. Don't stress.

Thanks netminder! I was just too focused on grammatical/spelling errors and whether I listed the correct dates for experiences that I forgot I spoke English. It's my first language and the only one I'm fluent in. (Born and raised New Yorker).

I just saw on one of the ERAS pdfs about setting up filters (seriously, don't google it) that "Language" was one of them. I'm frightened they won't even see my application to think it's strong if they've already screened it out.

Thanks netminder! I was just too focused on grammatical/spelling errors and whether I listed the correct dates for experiences that I forgot I spoke English. It's my first language and the only one I'm fluent in. (Born and raised New Yorker).

I just saw on one of the ERAS pdfs about setting up filters (seriously, don't google it) that "Language" was one of them. I'm frightened they won't even see my application to think it's strong if they've already screened it out.
Anything that you put in a field in ERAS that's not free text can be used to filter apps. That doesn't mean that everything will be used.

The neurosis is stronger than usual this year.

Good luck everybody. Try not to have a stroke before Thanksgiving.

Reactions: 3 users
Yo winterchill chill out, it's gonna be alright.
Also, you have no way of knowing that "none of your classmates were this dumb", as you can never overestimate people's stupidity :D

On a more serious note, I understood that question as fluency in languages other than English (because I thought it was assumed that you were reasonably fluent in English to practice medicine in the US), so just like you I listed my fluency in the non-English languages I speak.
I also really don't think programs filter US medical school seniors by their English skills. I think this applies more to people who went to medical school in non-English speaking countries. And I'm not worried!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks everyone. Sorry for the perceived neurosis, I'm usually pretty chill. Winter like almost.

I know it could be used as a screening tool - I just wondered if anyone had insight that it was. My friends all came together to pay for my applications and I didn't want to let them down.

I'll take it from you guys that I'm okay. Thanks for the well wishes!

I see them more filtering for people who other languages that a program might find useful (ie Spanish in a southern California family medicine program). They are going to know how well you speak English on your interview day. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
If it's any help, I realize I didn't include English on mine as well. I'm from a US school, and born and raised here as well.

Did you pass Step 2 CS?

If yes, then they will assume that you're reasonably fluent in English.

If no, well... you have bigger issues to worry about.

@smq123 I haven't taken it yet actually.

If you filter out applications that don't list English, my thinking was they wouldn't see my app at all to even read the personal statement, see a Step 2 CS score or invite me to an interview that would subsequently prove my fluency.

From this thread, it seems that it's not a big deal to leave it off so I am okay with my mistake. But if I were a PD with a thousand applications to review, filtering for English would be a quick and easy way to get rid of some apps. Which would suck for me.

But I guess I'll find out in the upcoming months. Nothing I can do about it now but hope for the best.

@smq123 I haven't taken it yet actually.

If you filter out applications that don't list English, my thinking was they wouldn't see my app at all to even read the personal statement, see a Step 2 CS score or invite me to an interview that would subsequently prove my fluency.

From this thread, it seems that it's not a big deal to leave it off so I am okay with my mistake. But if I were a PD with a thousand applications to review, filtering for English would be a quick and easy way to get rid of some apps. Which would suck for me.

But I guess I'll find out in the upcoming months. Nothing I can do about it now but hope for the best.
Filtering for Step 1/2CK scores and AMG/IMG/DO status is much easier and more fruitful.

I am trying to celebrate after yesterday's ERAS submission but I realized I left off that I'm a native English speaker. (I had only added the other languages in which I was "Good"). :bang:

Background-wise, I'm a US citizen at a top 25 medical school and didn't feel too bad at first because I assumed my application and personal statement would demonstrate my English fluency. Now I am remembering all the ERAS filters available to PDs and I'm concerned they'll screen applications for "English-Native "and mine will be trashed before it's ever reviewed.

None of my classmates were this dumb. Please give me hope.
Hi! Can we get an update? Did you feel this negatively effect you in any way? Similar thing happened on my end.