Do people actually get into Canadian schools without pre-reqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Emily10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for beating a dead horse about the chances here.

I am thinking of changing my career path from finance to medicine and I am exploring my options. Right now I am finishing up master's of finance in Canada, and I am thinking about Canadian med school.

I may be very ignorant about Canadian med schools, but I know that some of them don't require any prerequisites. I also know they are very competitive. (There must be a reason they indicate "no prerequisites"???)

Is there any chance at all I could get into any med school in Canada without ANY prerequisites , but with a REALLY high MCAT score and volunteer experience? Let me word it differently, did ANYONE get in without any pre-reqs to those schools?

I do have above 85% average for undergrad (business and economics), and I did almost perfect last term in my master's. I did take a few advanced calc and stats courses (got A+ in all of them).

Just for the record: I know MCAT is very tough, I know that med schools are extremely competitive in Canada, and I know that it's probably the best idea to take prerequisites anyways (although I'd rather not, if there is a chance of getting in without them).

I just want to find out if I have any chance of getting into a Canadian med school which requires no prerequisites without any prerequisites . That's all. Based on the answers, I will make my further decisions. If it's impossible to avoid pre-reqs, I would have to take them.

Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
don't know about canada but i can't imagine you can realistically think you are going to score really high without taking any of the prereqs. Good job about your finance masters and do well, but this has absolutely nothing to do with anything on the mcat. people get As in every prereq and still door poorly on the mcat. what makes you think you can learn them all by yourself? good luck, but i can't see the optomistic side of it.

Well I can only speak for Manitoba since I think that's my best shot at med school (I'll be in province). They base it on 15% Adjusted GPA (drop your worst grades depending on how many credits you have) 40 % MCAT and 45% MMI. Which I think rocks, and the minimum cut off for AGPA is 3.4.

but for med school apps you only need Biochemistry. Which has a pre-requisite of chem.

As for other provinces why don't you just look at the website of the universities. it's not that hard.

Members don't see this ad :)
don't know about canada but i can't imagine you can realistically think you are going to score really high without taking any of the prereqs. Good job about your finance masters and do well, but this has absolutely nothing to do with anything on the mcat. people get As in every prereq and still door poorly on the mcat. what makes you think you can learn them all by yourself? good luck, but i can't see the optomistic side of it.

I do realistically think that, yes. I learnt lots of things by myself and I believe patience and perseverance can go a long way. But that's not the point. I am just trying to figure out if it's possible to get in without pre-reqs. If you don't know anything about Canada, then why would you reply, if I may ask you?

I am not a resident of Canada but i think it is very possible to get in. It does probably help to have taken the classes. If you know how and what to study you will probably be fine. It wont be easy but you can do it. I believe that anyone can do anything they put there mind to. Some have to work harder some dont. eitherway, if you want it you can do it.

If you don't get into one of the 17 Canadian schools, you will have to take those classes to get into an American school. We're only talking about 8 science classes here...2 biology, 2 gen chem, 2 ochem, 2 physics.