Do people generally score higher on TBR CBTs or AAMC FLs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LaurenMarie

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How do people usually score on the TBR CBTs compared to the AAMC practice tests and the real test? I know there are a few other threads on this, but there aren't too many answers.

The tbrs are harder, but they have a generous curve. Do you think that they over correct with the curve like the Kaplan full lengths?

I took AAMC 3 as my first full length the day after I finished content and scored a 32 (PS11, VR11, BS10). Two days later I took TBR #1 and scored a 35 (PS12, VR11, BS12).

I guess I'm just confused as to why I did better on a TBR exam than the easiest AAMC
 
Last edited:
i didn't take tbr, but i'm in kaplan and those full length scores correlated well with my aamc scores, but not how i performed on the real deal; i scored lower on the real deal than any aamc or kaplan test i took.

scores from kaplan 1-4 were like 31,28,33,32
aamc tests 7-10 were like 31,30,29,32.. all around 29-32. ended up with a 27 on the real thing, but am retaking because i know i can do better.
 
i didn't take tbr, but i'm in kaplan and those full length scores correlated well with my aamc scores, but not how i performed on the real deal; i scored lower on the real deal than any aamc or kaplan test i took.

scores from kaplan 1-4 were like 31,28,33,32
aamc tests 7-10 were like 31,30,29,32.. all around 29-32. ended up with a 27 on the real thing, but am retaking because i know i can do better.

Thanks for your response! Good luck with your retake 🙂

Does anyone else have experience with tbr scores?
 
Kaplan FL#6 - 37
AAMC #4 - 33

TBR CBT 1 & 2 - 30 & 30

I really don't know why I scored lower in the TBR tests, looking over it revealed a ton of silly mistakes that I feel like I should have picked up on. But, from what I've read and been told, TBR tests are generally 2 points below the AAMC and real test scores. I'm hoping this holds for me as well. lol Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Kaplan FL#6 - 37
AAMC #4 - 33

TBR CBT 1 & 2 - 30 & 30

I really don't know why I scored lower in the TBR tests, looking over it revealed a ton of silly mistakes that I feel like I should have picked up on. But, from what I've read and been told, TBR tests are generally 2 points below the AAMC and real test scores. I'm hoping this holds for me as well. lol Good luck!

That's what I'm hoping too! It would be really, really nice to see a jump from my initial aamc 3 score once I finish TBR and go back to the aamcs. Good luck with your studying! It looks like you're going to do well! 👍
 
What does everyone think about the VR sections on the TBR cbts? I've read that it's better than their verbal book, but I'm still finding the verbal a little ridiculous.

Can anyone compare TBR cbt verbal to the AAMCs?
 
What does everyone think about the VR sections on the TBR cbts? I've read that it's better than their verbal book, but I'm still finding the verbal a little ridiculous.

Can anyone compare TBR cbt verbal to the AAMCs?

I did the first two CBTs. Got a 11 and 10 respectively and I must say I also do not like their verbal. In fact so much so, I plan on not even doing the verbal section of CBT 3. That aside their CBTs are great teaching tools.
 
Does anyone experience delayed response when clicking the 'next' 'previous' button when taking the TBR CBTs. For me, everything seems significantly slow in terms of loading with TBR test.
 
Does anyone experience delayed response when clicking the 'next' 'previous' button when taking the TBR CBTs. For me, everything seems significantly slow in terms of loading with TBR test.

YES! I was just taking a FL earlier today and it was taking several minutes to load the pages. Very annoying as the timer continues to tick! Also, it marked 6 questions wrong that I had gotten right!
 
Does anyone experience delayed response when clicking the 'next' 'previous' button when taking the TBR CBTs. For me, everything seems significantly slow in terms of loading with TBR test.
Yes! Well, I timed the whole lag on two separate computers and the average lag was 7 minutes! 7 minutes that I could've spent with the questions. It's really frustrating. My test date is tomorrow and I wanted to do a FL yesterday but then their system was down. I feel like TBR's CBT has a lot of technical glitches... Had I known I would have to deal with this, I would've just focused on AAMCs and Kaplan's or TPR's.
 
I also score higher on TBR tests and it kind of scares me... (32 to about 30 on AAMC)


I learn soooo much more from my mistakes on the TBR tests though compared to AAMC...my PS shot up from 9 to 12 on the AAMCs just by taking 2 TBRs


In my opinion compared to the AAMCs they do not seem very realistic (if the AAMCs are like the actual thing) but they show you where you need to brush up on in certain areas
 
I scored a 33 on TBRs 1-3 and then took AAMC 7 and scored a 29 🙁 (I scored a 30, 31 and 32 on AAMCS 3, 4 and 5).

not sure what happened, but I'll be spending tomorrow reviewing that FL. hopefully I just made a lot of stupid mistakes because seeing that composite bummed me out.
 
What does everyone think about the VR sections on the TBR cbts? I've read that it's better than their verbal book, but I'm still finding the verbal a little ridiculous.

Can anyone compare TBR cbt verbal to the AAMCs?

I believe there is a thread about "comparing FL test scores" in MCAT discussion that is buried on the second or third page. A lot of people posted their composite and breakdown scores of FLs from AAMC, BR, kaplan; etc. Trying searching for it.