Do people get accepted without experience? (Creighton and LECOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joleybear

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Creighton is my #1 choice for sure. I am applying to the Distance Pathway. I have no experience but I am trying to start working in a Pharmacy as a tech soon. I have 3 kids, 2 with disabilities and my partner works full-time so I had to focus on school before. My references will be from my Organic Chemistry I (and soon II) professor and my professor from 2017 who taught my Introductory Chemistry course (the first course, prior to General Chemistry I or II). I am also requesting a reference from a "teacher" who taught my Biology Lab (she taught it solo, but technically she is still in college) although I'm not sure if she can still do it or not. She originally said yes. But I have no references from working in a Pharmacy so far and I'm not sure if I can get one or not. Anyway, is it impossible to get in without experience, or barely starting to get experience (if I start working before I apply)?

Members don't see this ad.

Creighton is my #1 choice for sure. I am applying to the Distance Pathway. I have no experience but I am trying to start working in a Pharmacy as a tech soon. I have 3 kids, 2 with disabilities and my partner works full-time so I had to focus on school before. My references will be from my Organic Chemistry I (and soon II) professor and my professor from 2017 who taught my Introductory Chemistry course (the first course, prior to General Chemistry I or II). I am also requesting a reference from a "teacher" who taught my Biology Lab (she taught it solo, but technically she is still in college) although I'm not sure if she can still do it or not. She originally said yes. But I have no references from working in a Pharmacy so far and I'm not sure if I can get one or not. Anyway, is it impossible to get in without experience, or barely starting to get experience (if I start working before I apply)?

Very, and I mean very short answer if it’s impossible without experience:

No

Reactions: 1 user
Very, and I mean very short answer if it’s impossible without experience:

No
That is good enough for me. Detail would be good but I'll take it. lol. I wasn't sure if anyone has gotten into Creighton especially...especially the Distance Pathway, without experience. I am doing my best to fit everything I need in. It's rough because we have no car and my two kids are in separate schools on separate sides of the city plus I have class 9-1 4 days a week and travel time is over an hr each way by bus. I rarely sleep as is. I am just hoping now with a shorter schedule in person I will be able to manage adding more volunteer work and some experience. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi @Joleybear! It's certainly not impossible to get in with no pharmacy experience. Actually, over half of my entering class had no research experience and a significant portion of my peers had no pharmacy experience before coming in. For non-traditional candidates, you can distinguish yourself by pointing out how your life experiences have shaped who you are. Think about what your motivations are to pursuing pharmacy. The admissions committee would like to see how you can stand out from those traditional students who graduated with 4 year degrees. In terms of references, I would recommend telling your professors about your motivation to pursue pharmacy and what inspired you (after taking their course) to choose science over other professions. Even if the professors may not remember you, at the very least they can know your goals and have enough to write a positive letter of recommendation.

Good luck! :)

Q: can you get accepted without pharmacy experience?
A: yes

Q: is it a terrible idea to go to pharmacy school without any experience?
A: yes