Do people treat you differently when they learn you got into med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hass_Love_Fitness

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if others have noticed a trend in which people treat you differently after learning you’re going to med school.

I’ll share one of my experiences:

I hit the gym most days and everyone knows i’m happily married with 2 kids (gym is in my building); all of a sudden people that have known me for years try to pick me up after they learn about my MD acceptance. It’s no surprise my husband doesn’t want me to go to the gym anymore.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Just curious if others have noticed a trend in which people treat you differently after learning you’re going to med school.

I hit the gym most days and everyone knows i’m happily married with 2 kids (gym is in my building); all of a sudden people that have known me for years try to pick me up after they learn about my MD acceptance. It’s no surprise my husband doesn’t want me to go to the gym anymore.
I went from absolutely no one at work except for the medical assistants caring about when I come in to literally having the physicians knock on my Laboratory door to ask about my plans. And this is just being an applicant. I can only assume it will be bigger when/if there is an acceptance.

Some of my professors treated me differently after my acceptance, but by and large it’s been exactly the same, which is fine by me.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
i think the impact is more as a non traditional than a traditional

Most of my students have told me that as soon as people hear that they are going to med school, they start getting asked all sorts of medical advice.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
In my gap year MA job, (which I quit a month after my acceptance) a couple of the MDs and some of the office staff would sometimes treat me rudely or like a kid who didn’t know anything. Until I was accepted. All of a sudden there was an immediate shift in attitude and a new respect which took me by surprise a bit, because I felt I was the same person I had always been. And, as @Goro said, there was suddenly lots of advice from the doctors on how to handle med school...whereas previously they would only talk to me if they needed something.

Reactions: 3 users
Most of my students have told me that as soon as people hear that they are going to med school, they start getting asked all sorts of medical advice.

I'm nothing close to accepted, but I've had people who find out I'm applying ask me medical questions like I somehow know something. I just tell them I don't know anything about medicine but would love to discuss the Aldol Condensation Reaction if they're interested.

• Haha
Reactions: 28 users
So, I’ve got this puss-filled wart on my tushie. Can you take a look and give me some advice? :)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
So, I’ve got this puss-filled wart on my tushie. Can you take a look and give me some advice? :)

Don’t need to look at it. Just squeeze and pop it and you’ll be fine.
Trust me.

In my gap year MA job, (which I quit a month after my acceptance) a couple of the MDs and some of the office staff would sometimes treat me rudely or like a kid who didn’t know anything. Until I was accepted. All of a sudden there was an immediate shift in attitude and a new respect which took me by surprise a bit, because I felt I was the same person I had always been. And, as @Goro said, there was suddenly lots of advice from the doctors on how to handle med school...whereas previously they would only talk to me if they needed something.
I've noticed in many professional encountered, even with myself, that when others know you're "in the club", you do get treated differently. With me, as soon as I tell clinicians I'm on faculty at amed school, I'm in the club.

I advise my students that if they're sick and have to see a doctor, to tell clinicals that they're medical students, and sure enough, the quality of their care improves. Or at least they get more attention. Sometimes they even get pimped!

Having a title helps wonders at times with the lay public. I've been in hotels and had to call the front desk about some problem, and I always get better service if I do something like this: "Hi, this is Doctor Goro in Room 191. can I get someone here to fix the A/C?"

Reactions: 16 users
Having a title helps wonders at times with the lay public. I've been in hotels and had to call the front desk about some problem, and I always get better service if I do something like this: "Hi, this is Doctor Goro in Room 191. can I get someone here to fix the A/C?"
Not gonna lie, I have done this while on orders out of state. "Hi, this is Sergeant MemeLord in room 117..."

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Most differences I've seen have been as a patient. My gyn gave me advice on studying as soon as I mentioned I was a med student. Some doctors will explain things in a more scientific way compared to the usual way for a typical patient once I tell them.

People who knew me prior to medical school havent treated me any differently.

Reactions: 7 users

I work with nurses, and, since I've been accepted, they keep reminding me not to be an a**hole when I become a doc. After hearing stories from some of the older nurses, I understand why...

Reactions: 9 users
Not really. People like to bring it up when they introduce me to someone, and they always ask me about how school has been. Mostly positive, but nothing negative.

Well, except for one guy (friend of a friend). He said (Verbatim) "so you mean you're going to be going $300,000 in debt and not make any real money until you're in your 30s? We need doctors though, so good luck with that."

That was an interesting feeling.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
No. Like I literally went to Mayo Clinic, California, Oklahoma etc. for the military and referred to myself by my name and rank...

Did that actually work? I feel saying sgt could go either way. But if you said general ... Instant respect right there . But then again if you were a general probably have your own attendant already.

Did that actually work? I feel saying sgt could go either way. But if you said general ... Instant respect right there . But then again if you were a general probably have your own attendant already.
Yah, most civilians don’t know military structure lol

When I was applying and getting accepted people would ask “which med school are you considering??” And now that I’m matriculating in August everybody and their mother keeps asking “so what specialty are you going into?” I have no idea that’s what med school is for :(!!

Soak it up while you can because it completely flips during clerkships.

• Haha
I would say I certainly have felt this since becoming accepted into medical school. The best examples I have is when family friends or coworkers learn that I am attending medical school this fall and kind of react differently towards me in a way that all the sudden I am now more prestigious, when in reality I have not changed, only been accepted. I work as a nurse assistant currently, and even some of my patient who ask if I am going to do something related to medicine as a career all the sudden react differently around me when they find out I am heading to medical school. I have had many instances where patients will introduce me to family and state I am going to be a doctor when I was never treated as such before they knew that. Heck I have had many times when patients or family members of patients will try to set me up with their daughters or granddaughters because the assume I will have money someday. It has gotten to the point where I often don't come out and say medical school anymore unless they truly dig for more information, I will just typically say I am heading to "Graduate school". For me it is uncomfortable how much weight is still put now a days on the status of becoming a medical student, when in reality we are all the same person as the day before we were accepted, and I don't feel like our worth should be derived as such.

I am curious, has anyone else experienced these kind of reactions? I do understand people who are close will be happy for me and interested in the process, but to have other people ask me if I am single, or to go on a date with their daughters is a little much.

And if you do get this attention what is your approach to handling or even minimizing it?

Reactions: 2 users
YMMV

If I sneeze the wrong way, I get the "and you're going to be a doctor?" From the 50% that are fed-up with hearing the other 50% say "oooohhhh, you must be really smaaaart."

Plus the occasional, "he's going to leave you for a nurse," to my SO.

• Wow
Reactions: 10 users
I told one of my doctors that I'm planning on attending medical school in the fall and now that she knows she uses much more advanced clinical terms when describing meds she prescribes.

YMMV

If I sneeze the wrong way, I get the "and you're going to be a doctor?" From the 50% that are fed-up with hearing the other 50% say "oooohhhh, you must be really smaaaart."

Plus the occasional, "he's going to leave you for a nurse," to my SO.
This is just cruel. You SO did nothing wrong...

Or the other end of it. Got married before starting school.

"She is only doing it for your money."
"She is a noose around your neck."
"You will end up divorced in 2 years. Don't tell us we never told you."

6 years of dating before even applying, half of it long distance. I was the broke one with no car.

Focus on yourself and your SO. The best revenge is a long, stable, happy life together.

• Love
When I was applying and getting accepted people would ask “which med school are you considering??” And now that I’m matriculating in August everybody and their mother keeps asking “so what specialty are you going into?” I have no idea that’s what med school is for :(!!

This. Lol

People also think I’m an alpha male now

Or the other end of it. Got married before starting school.

"She is only doing it for your money."
"She is a noose around your neck."
"You will end up divorced in 2 years. Don't tell us we never told you."

6 years of dating before even applying, half of it long distance. I was the broke one with no car.

Focus on yourself and your SO. The best revenge is a long, stable, happy life together.
Same thing happened to me but we have only been dating for 2 years. Like if they were after money, dont they think the SO would date someone whos currently a doctor? Going through med school+residency with a person is a big commitment for just money. And my parents keep saying "well maybe you will meet someone in your class" as if thats something I want......

none. no one gave a damn and still no one gives a damn. I am just happy my friends and family were happy to hear about it.

Reactions: 7 users
Family and friends think I'm an expert family-medicine doctor and come to me with problems. Thankfully, I've found a great way to dodge. I just keep nodding my head, listening, and asking questions we were taught in patient-interview.

Aunt: "Dr. S, my arm hurts!!!!!"
Me: "When did it begin? dull?sharp?stabbing?throbbing?scale of 1 to 10? How much do you drink, are you sleeping enough? Are you sexually active, currently doing any drugs?"

By working from normal to extreme social/sexual history most family/friends stop bugging me cause I don't know ****.

I advise my students that if they're sick and have to see a doctor, to tell clinicals that they're medical students, and sure enough, the quality of their care improves. Or at least they get more attention. Sometimes they even get pimped!

My gyn gave me advice on her favorite speculum and light; commented that I'd be more prepared as an older women since I've seen more vaginas than young women (not true - I haven't looked at vaginas/vulvas much in the last 20 years)

Friend's mother: "Oh it's so good to have a doctor in the family - look at my pills [20+ packages] - are these right?"

Peds - started writing out the notes section on the parent take-home sheet using all that latin dr. jargon...I had to google it to figure out how many pills my kid was supposed to take and when.

I will just typically say I am heading to "Graduate school".

And if you do get this attention what is your approach to handling or even minimizing it?

This. I love the “graduate school” line.

Also, I’m a fan of quickly changing the subject/asking them a question. Ppl love talking about themselves

Nah. For the most part, people still treat me the same and are generally very excited for me. Though, it must have been put in my medical record somewhere that I'm heading to medical school after I went to get my immunizations, as the next time I went back the doc I was seeing (whom I've never met) started teaching me about the tests he was ordering and gave me some advice. Also, one of my bosses seemed a little surprised and started actually speaking to me.

I was a paramedic for many years before applying (and being accepted) to an M.D. program. It's no joke that nurses, usually BSNs, can have a giant hatred for medics and regular RNs. I was treated like absolute crap by many nurses, despite being an ACLS instructor and such.

When I got accepted to M.D. school, the word traveled quickly though our small town. Suddenly I'm the BSNs best friend. I also TA for a bunch of their 'super hard' physiology classes. Just being accepted has changed their perception.

It also happens with folks at church or around town. People that have never said a word to my wife or me are suddenly approaching us and chatting up a storm. I'm a mid-thirties non-trad who is a big redneck, prefering old jeans and Carhartt shirts to anything stylish. I think these people never thought much of me.

So yes, there has been a marked difference in how my family is treated and who interacts with us.

When I was accepted and as a medical student I was mostly subjected to " oh what do I do about *insert medical problem here*?" and "My brother/sister/Aunt/Uncle/ neighbor/ friends of friends has " *insert random medical problem* is " *treatment* the right thing to do?" Now as a resident I mostly see a difference when my parents or in-laws have to go to the hospital. My parents live on the opposite coast and I'm totally fine with them calling and putting the Nurse/ Physician/Tech on the line because it's sad to say the care, or at least the delivery of it, does improve once people know that the patient has a close family member that's a physician.

The last time my Mother in law went to the ED (while we were all on vacation) the Attending EM Physician even spent 10 minutes trying to sell me on practicing at that hospital when I graduate, and again we were all extremely satisfied with the care she received ( I mean, she got a CT within 20 minutes of being registered, that's unheard of).

I do everything I can to hide my medical training from strangers exactly for the reasons mentioned here. After a long shift, the last thing I want to do is hear a stranger's life story in the sweltering heat.

• Haha
"Oh, you're going to medical school? Really!?!?!? Great! So, doc, I've had an ache in my leg/arm/foot/back/rectum for some time now and I was wondering if you could help... Hahahahaha! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

I often encounter the awkward admiration or insulting disbelief. It really depends on the population I’m dealing with.

If I’m in the city interacting with young professionals that I’ve known only from college and beyond, they never seem to discriminate against individuals based on their chosen professions. If I’m back home, people react in utter shock of how I have progressed, and they lack the social skills to recognize their biases are oozing out in their expressions and word choice. Being a URM from a rural community could attribute to that though.

Anyhow, I quickly decided to keep my mouth closed about my future plans when talking to people that aren’t close friends or family to prevent the chance of coming off as haughty and allow people the chance to keep their true feelings concealed.

Get tinder and have one of your pictures be of you in your white coat. Girls will be coming and yes panties will drop.

• Haha
Get tinder and have one of your pictures be of you in your white coat. Girls will be coming and yes panties will drop.
Hopefully random women/men with panties aren’t just dropping trow in public. That is both indecent and unhygienic.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I don't like to announce my field of work to strangers openly unless it's required (e.g. arrival immigration card when traveling internationally). Because the follow-up questions tend to be "what specialty?" and then *insert personal anecdote relating to that specialty*. When I'm off work I want to think about something not related to it anymore. However, if word gets out, I'll still be courteous and answer all the questions people want to ask. Sometimes though it's unavoidable. "Why are you so busy? You were working for 24 hours straight?" There are not many other professions that have a schedule like we do especially if you work inpatient. People will raise eyebrows. You have to respond or else people will think something may be wrong with you.

If people know you before you enter the profession they will still treat you as the same old person. It's for those you meet after that can be the issue. Hence, I don't like playing the doctor card. I want to be known first and foremost as the guy who's not defined by his line of work.

People def treat me differently now that I’ve been in med school for a couple of years. I think that overall people take me more seriously and I’ve noticed that some people are more willing to be friends with me now and hang out with me since I am in a professional career as well. That is probably the most off-putting change I’ve noticed. My advice would be to stick with the friends you had before med school and to make friends with some fellow students, since they get what you are going through. People make awkward comments all of the time to me like “yeah we need to be friends because you’re going to have a boat someday” and nothing annoys me more. For some reason people think it’s a compliment to make comments about how much money you’ll make, but it can be awkward af. It’s like people thinking it’s ok to touch a pregnant belly. I purposely withhold that I’m in med school now because it is irrelevant to most conversations and it takes away from more genuine interactions. Also, being a med student basically means that you are a pee-on and the excitement of saying that will quickly wear off for you.

“If word gets out”..? I don’t think people are that interested in your career, you’re acting like it’s some big burden answering people’s questions to things they’ll forget about 10 minutes later.
They don’t forget. Maybe once you’ve answered the same questions over and over again outside of work for a couple years you’ll understand.