DO Personal Statements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay, so I have been getting some requests about providing feedback/guidline on how to write a personal statement and what to put in there. Although I am in no way an expert on this, I have edited a fair amount of PS for members on this forum. You can ask some of the members like chinesekid, ageofdarkness, psquared22, CFused about my feedback.

I would say that the most important thing that your PS should address is why you have chosen to pursue the medical profession and & what experiences along the way have guided your interests towards a career in medicine. You should NOT attempt to answer the question why DO (this will be asked during secondaries and interviews).

I will say that, of all the PS that I have read, each usually contains one or more of the following problems:

1. It is not substantive, and does not really answer the question: Why medicine
2. It does not flow or transition nicely from paragraph to paragraph, usually because the writer has rewritten their CV in paragraph form and provided a laundry list of their extracurricular activities.
3. Some sort of cliche statement, like, the patient care tech once told me "life is about getting up after you have been hit down", and this is how successes and accomplishments are achieved. I believe this is a big part of success as a physician as well. (used as example from one of the PS I read, will keep source anonymous).
4. An obsession with over-exaggeration--ie, uses words and phrases like, "in undergrad, my immense dedication and relentless sacrifices allowed me to be successful academically (sure, I don't doubt that you did not work extremely hard, dedicate yourself to your studies, and make sacrifices, BUT, this statement makes it seem as though you did nothing but study! ADCOMS do not like 4.0 Zombies. They want humans who can carry on a conversation and have other interests outside of school and medicine. Don't make it sound like you did not but study and volunteer at a soup kitchen
5. Some sort of grammatical error. The biggest problem I have noticed is people mixing up the past and present tense. If you are talking about an experience that happened 3 years ago, you must speak in the past tense and continue to elaborate in the past tense. Also, avoid run-on sentences.
6. When describing SIGNIFICANT events that apparently influenced their desire to pursue a career in medicine, many writers will be extremely vague and generic. They fail to make the experience anecdotal and palpable. This, in turn, makes their PS sound like the 2000 other PS that ADCOMS must weed through. Use first names if you can. Describe the events (if you can remember any significant/meaningful ones).

I have read a few PS that did not have any of the aforementioned problems, but again there were far and few of those. Those personal statements were nearly finished products and I made a few notes about some things that I would change or reword.

My advice to you all would be to really sit down, and brainstorm, on a white sheet of paper about what it is that makes you want to become a doctor. This is what I did before I wrote my personal statement. What do you enjoy about medicine? What do you look forward to as a prospective medical student and a future physician. Who has influenced you on your journey. What events stand out in your mind? I listed several things on the white sheet of paper and I began making connections, and wrote my personal statement.

My PS was reviewed by 10 people (4 of which were english teachers/professors) and went through 4 revisions. You may not need as many people to read/review it, but this gives you an idea of how much time and preparation should go into it. Good luck. (sorry, still cannot take on any new requests)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
:confused: scroll up. Sorry to be an ass, but it has been repeatedly mentioned in this that your PS should not discuss the question why DO. They will beat you over the head with this question during secondaries. Your PS should answer why you have chosen/what has motivated you to pursue the medical profession.

I didn't think there had been a clear consensus reached. So I'd be ok to mention it briefly, just don't dwell on it? Or is it definitely better to not mention it at all?

Yes, seems like you've thought this through thoroughly. Every DO secondary will ask "why DO, why osteopathic, why us?" or some variation of that. In your secondary, you can hit the reasons for your interest in DO specifically.

Even though the DO essay is longer, I'd be carefully about getting to wordy and lengthy (Adcoms have to read thousands). If the shorter version suffices for AMCAS, it's def fine for AACOMAS. Again, I'd keep it to the story of why medicine and your path to get here - why am I certain medicine is my future and why I am the perfect candidate.

You could hit DO briefly if you'd like, but you'll have multiple essays later for that.

Good luck!

I don't think this is true.

Every secondary application will ask you "Why DO and why our school?" You can elaborate on your commitment to the osteopathic approach there.

Personal statement should be an exciting hook of how you found your passion for medicine and why you're a strong choice for a future physician. Answer why medicine in general, why am I situated to be a successful doctor, and how did my experiences shape me into this person. Add the osteopathic piece if you actually have a meaningful/unique experience that has guided you to a more patient-centered, holistic approach - shadowing your family physician doesn't count. I was accepted to 100% of the DO schools I applied to and didn't mention a single thing to do with osteopathic medicine or any of that - I think it detracts from you goal of eloquently and succinctly explaining your candidacy.

tl;dr:
Some adcoms will literally see thousands of these, you need to have a hook and be to the point. Save the osteopathic part for the designated space in the secondary.

@Sam56uel ^

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't think there had been a clear consensus reached. So I'd be ok to mention it briefly, just don't dwell on it? Or is it definitely better to not mention it at all?

I was accepted to 100% of the DO schools I applied to and didn't mention a single thing to do with osteopathic medicine or any of that - I think it detracts from you goal of eloquently and succinctly explaining your candidacy.

^ I agree with Dr. Ender about this, which is why I also did not mention anything about DO in my personal statement. My PS for AMCAS and AACOMAS were nearly identical, the only difference was the wording of a few of the sentences to make up for the character requirements.

Last cycle, I had the following essay question from a school:

Describe your motivation for applying to [school], and address the unique qualities and characteristics you would bring to our University and the osteopathic profession.

I did not treat it as a "Why DO" since I answered that question in my PS. It allowed me more room to address why I wanted to go to that particular school. I think this let me stand out a bit.

If you are answering "Why Medicine?," why not just answer "Why Osteopathic Medicine?" in the personal statement? Seems like an overall shorter word count (ie, more space for other content).

I am really at lost with my PS.

I wrote a PS abt my grandmother and abt how helping her with her health struggles inspired me to become a physician. I wrote abt her because helping was the primary reason I want to be a physician.

But my PHP committee did not like the PS, I read I am not suppose to write abt ECs. Than what thd F am I suppose to Fing write abt?

I was trying to write abt how my personality a match for being a physician but I feel like it was not straight forward from the heart as my PS abt my grandmother is.

What am I suppose to do stick to my PS that is straight from the heart OR write another PS because most of SDNers and my PHP committee do not like my PS....

And I dont know what the F to write abt.

Why I want to be a doctor is such broad Fing question.

I'm applying this cycle as well, and I have been e-mailing with one of the readers on the MD PS reader forums. He's been tremendously helpful, and one of the big take-aways I've gotten from it is that I do NOT need to write about being a DO. Writing about patient experiences that involve more than just clinical decision-making, e.g. working with a young patient whose atrial flutter made her frightened for her life and made her worry about her financial security, illustrates an understanding of the holistic approach to patient care that is the cornerstone of the DO philosophy. And, since i'm applying MD as well, I was able to use almost identical statements (with some tweaking for character length)

I wrote about how my great great great grandmother was on her deathbed 100 years ago and A.T. Still walked in and treated her with some OMM that gave her another 15 years.

Thereby providing the inspiration for my journey into osteopathic medicine. It was a revision from my previous personal statement, which just read:

"Hello... Is it me you're looking for?"

Last edited:

I wrote a PS abt my grandmother and abt how helping her with her health struggles inspired me to become a physician. I wrote abt her because helping was the primary reason I want to be a physician.

But my PHP committee did not like the PS, I read I am not suppose to write abt ECs. Than what thd F am I suppose to Fing write abt?

I was trying to write abt how my personality a match for being a physician but I feel like it was not straight forward from the heart as my PS abt my grandmother is.

What am I suppose to do stick to my PS that is straight from the heart OR write another PS because most of SDNers and my PHP committee do not like my PS....

You are supposed to write about your ECs, you are just not supposed to provide a laundry list of everything that you did in CV form. I was never implying for you to not mention a single extracurricular activity that you've participated, but rather highlighting the importance of the delivery of the way you describe the events. There are different ways to talk about your extracurriculars. Heres what I mean.

1. Volunteering at Health Hospital taught me the importance of helping out and being compassionate towards the patients.

2. I then began Volunteering at Health Hospital. It was extremely gratifying to see the looks of patients after they had received a cup of water or a warm blanket while waiting in the chilly admittance area. One patient that stands out is Soandso , who was a chronic smoker and suffered from COPD. She frequently visited the ER due to her COPD exacerbations. I saw her, grasping for air, struggling to breathe. Despite her struggle, she managed to ask me if she could hold my hand while doctors prepared to intubate her. She explained the discomfort from the procedure, and that it brought her comfort to hold someone's hand. I was more than happy to oblige.

Unfortunately, more students go with example 1 when writing their PS. They mention an experience briefly and then move on the next experience. The fail to go into detail about their experiences and highlight made it meaningful--and, most importantly, how that experience has led to their desire to pursue a career in medicine.

Last edited:

First off, you are an adult and a professional, so quit with the F this and F that talk.

Second, you claim to be passionate about wanting to be a doctor. That's what you write about. Your EC's are not your passion nor your reason for being a doctor, so why do the ADCOM's care to read about them twice? Your PS is THE chance you have to present yourself to the ADCOM's before hopefully meeting them in person. You have to clearly and concisely detail your passion and maybe explain some difficulties in your past, but always with an eye of why it will make you a doctor, in the body of your PS.

Again, act like a mature adult.

Yeah no one seems to like my PS either... blah!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess working was helpful. I had no other distraction except for my client who is drugged up and I wrote a new PS that has a contains experiences, with my grandmother, volunteer and shadowing. I am going to get it edited on Tues by a person but I been thing about using Kaplan, did anyone use Kaplan?

I guess working was helpful. I had no other distraction except for my client who is drugged up and I wrote a new PS that has a contains experiences, with my grandmother, volunteer and shadowing. I am going to get it edited on Tues by a person but I been thing about using Kaplan, did anyone use Kaplan?

I haven't. Has anyone used http://studybypass.com/???

Everyone, I cannot take a look at or edit any more personal statements. I have been getting too many requests and have too many to look over for the time being.

Check out the new version of Medical School Essays that made a difference by The Princeton Review. Its a pretty good book imo. Good Luck!!

I thought some of those essays were awesome... the other ones... I was like... huh?

Does anyone else agree?

Question: Is it okay to mention that a patient thought his physicians were not kind or compassionate? I used this in a paragraph to show that I will be a kind and compassionate physician one day. My friend is telling me never to say anything negative about physicians.

I would not mention it. And I would not recommend using the behavior of other physicians towards a patient to highlight how you will somehow be a "kind and compassionate physician one day" (do you really think this is a good way to sell yourself to the ADCOMS?). Plus, this has the potential to completely backfire in your face. What if they ask you to elaborate about it during interviews? How much do you know about that particular situation, and what was said/done by the physician?

I mentioned DO in my PS, but when referring to someone who inspired me and it was a round about way of using it. Xxx was a DO(I clearly could have used physician). Basically I wrote of qualities that are in line with being a holistic provider, which I think everyone should try to "aspire" to be in their PS without directly referencing Osteopathy.

Question: Is it okay to mention that a patient thought his physicians were not kind or compassionate? I used this in a paragraph to show that I will be a kind and compassionate physician one day. My friend is telling me never to say anything negative about physicians.

You don't want to say anything negative about anyone else at all.

The thing is, I'm not the one who said the negative thing. It was the patient. I just used this experience to keep in mind that it is necessary to be compassionate. Should I still not mention it? How should I go about changing it?

Patients complain all the time. I don't see why it's be that significant to put on the PS. Definitely change it. Why not talk about a time a patient was genuinely affected by care or that a physician actually got through to them?

I thought some of those essays were awesome... the other ones... I was like... huh?

Does anyone else agree?

Oh my god, yes. Some of them were pretty atrocious. And some of them were amazing, and the writers had near-perfect stats, and they STILL didn't get in to some of the top-tier schools. It made me rage.

So I know it's last minute but is anyone interested in exchanging PS drafts for editing? I have my almost-final one done and I'd be happy to swap and take a look at someone else's.

Oh my god, yes. Some of them were pretty atrocious. And some of them were amazing, and the writers had near-perfect stats, and they STILL didn't get in to some of the top-tier schools. It made me rage.

So I know it's last minute but is anyone interested in exchanging PS drafts for editing? I have my almost-final one done and I'd be happy to swap and take a look at someone else's.
I'd be up for it. I have had relatively few people read mine other than an MD that my mom works with and my aunt who is an English teacher, and of course other family members but that's it. I've sat and stewed over it for more than a month now.

I've done very well with English in college, so I wouldn't say I'm an expert with grammar and the like, but I have an eye for things that just don't look right I guess.

In my revise PS I talked abt two other career options that I thought abt and how being a physician would enable me to do the other careers as well.... This is only abt 4 sentences in my PS.

I also discuss how a shadowed other careers but felt they were not a fit for me.

Should I take this out of my PS does it make me look indecisive?

In my revise PS I talked abt two other career options that I thought abt and how being a physician would enable me to do the other careers as well.... This is only abt 4 sentences in my PS.

I also discuss how a shadowed other careers but felt they were not a fit for me.

Should I take this out of my PS does it make me look indecisive?
Wait, what? In your PS for application to medical school, you are going to talk about how becoming a physician will give you the opportunity for...other...careers? :eek:

We can swap... PM me and I will give you my e-mail address

Every time I feel I'm done with my PS and ready to post it on AACOMAS, I read it again and make more changes. I'm so tired of this essay.

Wait, what? In your PS for application to medical school, you are going to talk about how becoming a physician will give you the opportunity for...other...careers? :eek:

I give a little insight abt how early on in life I wanted to be a teacher/lawyer/doctor but in my conclusion I made what I think is a nice ending abt how being a doctor would allow me to teach to my patients and co workers and being a doctor would allow me to advocate for my clients.

I give a little insight abt how early on in life I wanted to be a teacher/lawyer/doctor but in my conclusion I made what I think is a nice ending abt how being a doctor would allow me to teach to my patients and co workers and being a doctor would allow me to advocate for my clients.

Although I see the logic, I think it would require far more than 4500 characters to compose a well-written essay that describe such metamorphosis.

Although I see the logic, I think it would require far more than 4500 characters to compose a well-written essay that describe such metamorphosis.

I think it well written and I am going to see a tutor on Tues. to make sure of it.

Does it look bad or weird to use the term medical doctor in my P.S. I wanted to use physician but that encompasses more than M.D./D.O.

And I also have a section in my P.S. where I discuss how I did shadow other medical providers including physicians of podiatry, etc but was not satisfied with the what I saw.

Last edited:
how is everyone pasting the PS into the application form? Can we paste directly from MS word?

Does it look bad or weird to use the term medical doctor in my P.S. I wanted to use physician but that encompasses more than M.D./D.O.

And I also have a section in my P.S. where I discuss how I did shadow other medical providers including physicians of podiatry, etc but was not satisfied with the what I saw.

I'd just use physician. You're applying to medical school, it's implied you want to be a medical doctor.

If you want to talk about a podiatrist, use the phrase "podiatrist."

how is everyone pasting the PS into the application form? Can we paste directly from MS word?
Copy and paste your PS into Notebook if you are on Windows or TextEdit if Mac. This will remove all formatting if you are close to the limit of characters. Then copy it over to AACOMAS.

OMG can someone help me for free or cheap. This lady wants to charge me 50/hr for PS tutoring.

Last edited:
I think a better line would be something along the lines of I intend to carry on holistic principles of compassionate care etc...

Okay, so I have been getting some requests about providing feedback/guidline on how to write a personal statement and what to put in there. Although I am in no way an expert on this, I have edited a fair amount of PS for members on this forum. You can ask some of the members like chinesekid, ageofdarkness, psquared22, CFused about my feedback.

I would say that the most important thing that your PS should address is why you have chosen to pursue the medical profession and & what experiences along the way have guided your interests towards a career in medicine. You should NOT attempt to answer the question why DO (this will be asked during secondaries and interviews).

I will say that, of all the PS that I have read, each usually contains one or more of the following problems:

2. It does not flow or transition nicely from paragraph to paragraph, usually because the writer has rewritten their CV in paragraph form and provided a laundry list of their extracurricular activities.
3. Some sort of cliche statement, like, the patient care tech once told me "life is about getting up after you have been hit down", and this is how successes and accomplishments are achieved. I believe this is a big part of success as a physician as well. (used as example from one of the PS I read, will keep source anonymous).
4. An obsession with over-exaggeration--ie, uses words and phrases like, "in undergrad, my immense dedication and relentless sacrifices allowed me to be successful academically (sure, I don't doubt that you did not work extremely hard, dedicate yourself to your studies, and make sacrifices, BUT, this statement makes it seem as though you did nothing but study! ADCOMS do not like 4.0 Zombies. They want humans who can carry on a conversation and have other interests outside of school and medicine. Don't make it sound like you did not but study and volunteer at a soup kitchen
5. Some sort of grammatical error. The biggest problem I have noticed is people mixing up the past and present tense. If you are talking about an experience that happened 3 years ago, you must speak in the past tense and continue to elaborate in the past tense. Also, avoid run-on sentences.
6. When describing SIGNIFICANT events that apparently influenced their desire to pursue a career in medicine, many writers will be extremely vague and generic. They fail to make the experience anecdotal and palpable. This, in turn, makes their PS sound like the 2000 other PS that ADCOMS must weed through. Use first names if you can. Describe the events (if you can remember any significant/meaningful ones).

I have read a few PS that did not have any of the aforementioned problems, but again there were far and few of those. Those personal statements were nearly finished products and I made a few notes about some things that I would change or reword.

My advice to you all would be to really sit down, and brainstorm, on a white sheet of paper about what it is that makes you want to become a doctor. This is what I did before I wrote my personal statement. What do you enjoy about medicine? What do you look forward to as a prospective medical student and a future physician. Who has influenced you on your journey. What events stand out in your mind? I listed several things on the white sheet of paper and I began making connections, and wrote my personal statement.

My PS was reviewed by 10 people (4 of which were english teachers/professors) and went through 4 revisions. You may not need as many people to read/review it, but this gives you an idea of how much time and preparation should go into it. Good luck. (sorry, still cannot take on any new requests)

Just want to share how I got in with multiple low mcat scores thanks to my strong PS.
Hope this video help. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLyImE_5KuU

:thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Is it best to leave 1 line of space after each paragraph with indentation or is it okay just to have an indentation for each paragraph and no spaces?

Is it best to leave 1 line of space after each paragraph with indentation or is it okay just to have an indentation for each paragraph and no spaces?

You will not be allowed any formatting. Indentation or not. Leaving one extra line is a luxury you can not afford (every symbol counts).
I doubt anyone cares about what your PS looks like. It's what's in it that counts.

I would not mention it. And I would not recommend using the behavior of other physicians towards a patient to highlight how you will somehow be a "kind and compassionate physician one day" (do you really think this is a good way to sell yourself to the ADCOMS?). Plus, this has the potential to completely backfire in your face. What if they ask you to elaborate about it during interviews? How much do you know about that particular situation, and what was said/done by the physician?
How about using a physician's positive interaction with a patient as a benchmark for the type of physician you aspire to become? For example, witnessing a physician going out of their way to make sure a pt gets their medication.

I never specifically talked about why DO in my PS. My PS was all about my experiences and ideas with medicine. I think a personal statement that shares a story is the most beneficial, especially if it keeps the readers attention. Here is my PS, read it and I hope it can help guide some of you. It is by no means perfect, but it did the job for me and it really conveyed why I want to be a physician.