1. It’s Test Prep Week! Visit the Test Prep Forums to learn about test prep products and services, ask questions in test-related AMA threads, take advantage of exclusive SDN member discounts, and enter to win free stuff!
Studying for the DAT, GRE, OAT or PCAT? Test Prep Week Exhibitors are here to help!

Do pharm schools take into consideration non-prereq classes?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by bchmcs, Sep 10, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. bchmcs

bchmcs

Sep 10, 2017
    Hi,
    This might be a silly question but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere online. Do pharmacy schools bother looking at non-prerequisite courses? A lot of prereq classes were introductory classes for my major and when I first started college, simply put, I didn't know how to study or manage my time efficiently until my junior year (because I'm dumb). Thus, I got subpar marks for those classes (i.e. physics, physio, intro to genetics). Since then, I've taken a few advanced/upper div classes (like physical biochem, analytical chem, molecular genetics, etc.) and I've gotten better grades for those courses. But at the same time, I didn't have the chance to retake my prereqs and as a result my science gpa is a mere 2.8 (my cumulative is somewhere near 3.2-3.3).

I'm concerned because, first of all, those classes aren't prereqs that I can list on the "prerequisite" section of the PharmCas app and I'm aware that schools generally compare applicants by their prereq coursework. Does anyone have any insight??

Also idk if it's important to mention but I scored a 95 composite on my PCAT (96 on both chem and bio sections) and I do have pharmacy & research experience. How likely is it that pharmacy schools will take pity on me ?? LOL

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.