Do pharm schools take into consideration non-prereq classes?

Started by bchmcs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bchmcs

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
This might be a silly question but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere online. Do pharmacy schools bother looking at non-prerequisite courses? A lot of prereq classes were introductory classes for my major and when I first started college, simply put, I didn't know how to study or manage my time efficiently until my junior year (because I'm dumb). Thus, I got subpar marks for those classes (i.e. physics, physio, intro to genetics). Since then, I've taken a few advanced/upper div classes (like physical biochem, analytical chem, molecular genetics, etc.) and I've gotten better grades for those courses. But at the same time, I didn't have the chance to retake my prereqs and as a result my science gpa is a mere 2.8 (my cumulative is somewhere near 3.2-3.3).

I'm concerned because, first of all, those classes aren't prereqs that I can list on the "prerequisite" section of the PharmCas app and I'm aware that schools generally compare applicants by their prereq coursework. Does anyone have any insight??
 
Last edited:
Is the 2.8 calculated by PharmCAS or your undergrad? Have you repeated courses? I believe a lot of the school who use PharmCAS will look at the GPA calculated by PharmCAS. There are some schools that will recalculate their own GPA but its rare