Do pharmacists work on contract or full-time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowdance

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can I get some information on what pharmacy jobs are like? :) I'm thinking of changing my job and pharmacy looks like an interesting area in health care. Are pharmacists job secure? How is the schedule? How is the pay and benefits? Payscale says 90K a year but from the statistics from the pharmacy school of the state that I'm in says it's about 50K a year.
I'm hoping to switch to something I like without a "paycut" if possible?

Members don't see this ad.

Can I get some information on what pharmacy jobs are like? :) I'm thinking of changing my job and pharmacy looks like an interesting area in health care. Are pharmacists job secure? How is the schedule? How is the pay and benefits? Payscale says 90K a year but from the statistics from the pharmacy school of the state that I'm in says it's about 50K a year.
I'm hoping to switch to something I like without a "paycut" if possible?

No one is going to be able to fit everything about pharmacy in one post. There are plenty of resources out there that you should be able to find on your own.

As far as job security, it depends on your geographical location and the area of work. Industry positions are less secure than retail positions in an active growth area, for example. Overall, however, the outlook is good for the next 10 years at least.

Pay and benefits depends greatly on your location and what kind of work you do, however, I haven't heard of anyone making less than $70K and that's at a small hospital in the area with an extremely low cost of living. Hospital pharmacists typically make less than retail.