DO/PhD school???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

giguerex35

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanted to know if anyone could give me any insight or more information on DO/PhD dual degree programs. I have read each of the postings on each schools website but other than that i am really in the dark about what these programs are all about. I would like to apply as i have 2+ years of research and 1 publication as a undergrad and i really love research. So basically does anyone have any other information on this such as gpa/MCAT needed to be accepted into the program or anything else, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

DO/PhD is not very common. The only schools that offer DO/PhD are MSUCOM, OU-COM, OSU-COM, PCOM, RowanSOM, TCOM, and VCOM-A. Four of those schools are state schools that have a heavy instate bias. Go MD if you want your PhD and a medical degree. MD/PhD students typically have higher MCATs as well.

Wanted to know if anyone could give me any insight or more information on DO/PhD dual degree programs. I have read each of the postings on each schools website but other than that i am really in the dark about what these programs are all about. I would like to apply as i have 2+ years of research and 1 publication as a undergrad and i really love research. So basically does anyone have any other information on this such as gpa/MCAT needed to be accepted into the program or anything else, thanks.

MSU has accepted students into their DO PHD program with a GPA of 3.5-3.9 and an MCAT of 507-513 (28-38).

A few things to consider:

None of these programs are NIH funded, which means at places where the program is strong like MSU you will need to still shell out money. With no guarantee that you'll be done in 7-8 yrs that will add up.

Compared to some non-MSTP MD PhD programs as well as MSTP programs, the amount of investigators who are leaders in the field is quite small in DO PhD programs. That can be an issue in finding the right niche of research you are wanting to go into.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm beginning my second year in the DO-PhD program at MSU. Chances of getting in depend strongly on the evaluation of candidates by the program director, and the feeling I have gotten is that they will only encourage that you apply to the PhD if they truly think you are cut out for it.

Dr. Justin McCormick is the program director at the moment and he has the final say. I would say he looks for a strong GPA, a good MCAT score, strong research experience, enthusiasm for the program, and personality. However, I do get the impression that they will give you a chance if you are exceptional but have a lower MCAT or GPA.

The process works as follows:
1 - indicate your interest on the secondary application from MSU and fill out the essays
2 - wait for the medical school to invite you to an interview
3 - wait for the DO-PhD program to invite you to interview as well - for out of state applicants this is generally on the same day as your medical school interview
4 - do those interviews - Dr. McCormick will generally give you a good idea of whether or not he wants you to apply to the PhD
5 - get accepted into the med school
6 - apply to the PhD program, and come back to interview at recruitment
7 - wait for PhD to let you know if you're in
8 - celebrate that you're stuck in one place for at least the next 6 years, but more likely 8

MSUCOM costs an average of $10,000 a year, and provides a stipend of $28,000. I'm pretty happy with my decision, but it's not for everyone. The program is long and difficult, and will definitely test you. Feel free to message me if you want more info.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm beginning my second year in the DO-PhD program at MSU. Chances of getting in depend strongly on the evaluation of candidates by the program director, and the feeling I have gotten is that they will only encourage that you apply to the PhD if they truly think you are cut out for it.

Dr. Justin McCormick is the program director at the moment and he has the final say. I would say he looks for a strong GPA, a good MCAT score, strong research experience, enthusiasm for the program, and personality. However, I do get the impression that they will give you a chance if you are exceptional but have a lower MCAT or GPA.

The process works as follows:
1 - indicate your interest on the secondary application from MSU and fill out the essays
2 - wait for the medical school to invite you to an interview
3 - wait for the DO-PhD program to invite you to interview as well - for out of state applicants this is generally on the same day as your medical school interview
4 - do those interviews - Dr. McCormick will generally give you a good idea of whether or not he wants you to apply to the PhD
5 - get accepted into the med school
6 - apply to the PhD program, and come back to interview at recruitment
7 - wait for PhD to let you know if you're in
8 - celebrate that you're stuck in one place for at least the next 6 years, but more likely 8

MSUCOM costs an average of $10,000 a year, and provides a stipend of $28,000. I'm pretty happy with my decision, but it's not for everyone. The program is long and difficult, and will definitely test you. Feel free to message me if you want more info.

10,000 a year?? Is that specific for DO PhD?

10,000 a year?? Is that specific for DO PhD?

Specifically for MSUCOM. As far as I know, NIH funds only MD MSTP programs fully at the moment, so we are funded through MSU, and they set their own terms for how much tuition we pay.

Reactions: 1 user