DO/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cp00739

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which schools have such programs? And does anyone know if you get tuition waiver and a stipend in any of the do/phd programs?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Well, they do exist - look at this thread halfway down the main MSTP page:

<a href="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=37;t=000095" target="_blank">http://forums.studentdoctor.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=37;t=000095</a>

I don't know about financial suport, though. I think that would be unlikely, at least for the DO portion of your degree.

Yeah, they do exist...but I'm a little confused as to why you'd want to do one. DOs traditionally have not been research oriented at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
DOs have not been "traditionally" research oriented but things change. In fact, there are osteopathic physicians that do basic, clinical, and OMM research. Furthermore, just because research is not the main thrust of the osteopathic profession that does not mean that a DO can not do research, it is up to the individual. DOs are able to take every type of NIH and similar research fellowships that are open to MDs. DO/PhD programs are great for the serious researcher and the osteopathic profession needs progams such as these.

I completely agree that the osteopathic profession badly needs researchers. That's an understatement, but the OP has to think about their own professional life, not what the profession itself needs. I think the OP will find a difficult stigma attached to a DO researcher and as difficult as the physician-scientist lifestyle itself is, I'm not sure that's a good onus to take on. I would contend that there is a much more serious difference here than with just MD/DO clinical practicioners.

I am going to tread carefully here... As I don't think that a DO should mean a lesser degree or anything less than equality. But I think none has a point here.

If one is seriously interested in academic medicine, and has the GPA/MCATs necessary to compete at the top level for scholarships, etc, then a MD/PhD is probably better suited, if only because of the stigma that is attached to the DO degree. I suspect it would be much harder to obtain grants, to obtain a position in a non-DO hospital, etc...

There are many academic researchers that are DOs. Take a look at the DO/PhD program for MSUCOM; past graduates are very accomplished and successful! Lastly, in the world of research, speaking from experience, it is the quality of work that one does and publishes that receives admiration and respect. I have contacted many osteopathic physicians (DO and DO/PhD) that are involved in clinical, and dare I say basic, science research. They all say that these fears are, in terms of research,in the minds of pre-meds. Lastly, the NIH absolutely loves to give grants to physician-scientists, even DO/PhDs. Don't believe the hype!

OK, well, I guess I am just coming from the perspective that everyone I know that is becoming a DO would rather become a MD... And I do think there are a lot of those biases out there against DO's...

Did you prefer DO to MD? May I ask why? (not meant to be offensive at all, just curious...)

Sorry I did not reply earlier, I was in the hospital having surgery. Anyway, where I am from there are many DOs and this bias that everyone speaks of is blown way out of proportion.