Do pre-req's expire?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paveen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I have been checking the threads around and have run into a question. Do the pre-req's expire? I took mine 10 years ago. Long story short I went to grad school picked up Masters degrees in physics and chemistry. Since then have been teaching both at 4 year colleges. Does anyone know if more medical schools have set cut-off dates or if it varies depending on the persons background?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all, I have been checking the threads around and have run into a question. Do the pre-req's expire? I took mine 10 years ago. Long story short I went to grad school picked up Masters degrees in physics and chemistry. Since then have been teaching both at 4 year colleges. Does anyone know if more medical schools have set cut-off dates or if it varies depending on the persons background?

Your pre-reqs don't expire. However, if you haven't been in school for 10 years, it would help you if you took some rigorous coursework before you apply. This is to show adcoms that you still can do it. They just want to see some recent work.

actually, i have heard the opposite... i heard that 10 years is the max.
when i was doing my post-bacc, that is what the advisor told me. but i would call some of the schools that you're interested in, and ask so you don't rely on us!

Most schools don't have prereq expiration but want to see recent science coursework.

But check each school you apply to because there are actually a few schools that don't accept prereqs beyond a certain time period.