Do PSTP residents take spots from standard fellowship applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dohgrl76

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am gearing up for applying to fellowship now, and I am interested in staying at my home program. The fellowship takes about 4-6 fellows a year, but for the year I would be starting, there are 3 current interns and residents at my program in the Physician Scientist Training Program that will be going into fellowship that year. Do these residents take 3 of the spots automatically, or are they funded differently and not take the standard clinical spots? Also will they not be in the standard call schedule also, making the call schedule for the other clinical fellows worse?

Thanks for the help, I've done lots of google searching and forum searching and can't seem to find an answer.

Members don't see this ad.

You should ask the fellowship PD how it works, every program will be different.

In my case, since we (Research Pathway fellows) were funded differently for 3 of the 4 years of fellowship, we actually had more fellows those years and made the call pool better. But we were a small program where fellows took call throughout the program (pyramidal though, 1st year fellows did more, final years less).

You should ask the fellowship PD how it works, every program will be different.

In my case, since we (Research Pathway fellows) were funded differently for 3 of the 4 years of fellowship, we actually had more fellows those years and made the call pool better. But we were a small program where fellows took call throughout the program (pyramidal though, 1st year fellows did more, final years less).

Thanks Gutonc! So does that mean they accepted more fellows those years (basically that the research fellows were additional)?