DO psychiatry residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gabby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious if it's much harder to get a Psych residency as a DO rather than an MD. I'm not even in med school yet, but I'm keeping my options open, as far as schools go.

Members don't see this ad.

Gabby said:
I'm just curious if it's much harder to get a Psych residency as a DO rather than an MD. I'm not even in med school yet, but I'm keeping my options open, as far as schools go.

There are many very good psych residencies that will give full consideration to D.O.'s, especially in the Midwest. It will not handicap you.

OldPsychDoc said:
There are many very good psych residencies that will give full consideration to D.O.'s, especially in the Midwest. It will not handicap you.

I go to a midwest DO school, but I'm applying to programs on the coast-- both of them. I do think it would be easier to say get a California residency if I already lived there, because I could do audition rotations more easily. I actually got no interviews at top tier programs, but I'm pretty happy with the ones that I did get. I went into osteopathic medicine for the clinical emphasis and am not interested in a hardcore research career in the future, so I can get what I want out of the programs I've ranked. We'll see how easily I get my top choice next month! Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys I'm very interested in getting into top psychiatry programs. Right now I am applying very broadly to MD programs, but I'm contemplating applying to DO schools as well. I would not mind being a DO if it will not hinder me from getting access to top residencies. If it will, then this alone is unsettling for me, I have worked too hard to have doors closed on me. Can anyone offer some advice here? For starters, I looked at Columbias psychiatry residency pg and did not see one D.O. I also think they don't accept applications from DOs....so I'm not trying to put DO down, but I just want a realistic assessment here. Thank you.

It sounds like you should go with an MD program. I'm an osteopathic student and I have a lot of respect for my profession. But, if you absolutely want a top residency then you should just go to an allopathic school. There are plenty of residencies that will accept DOs and I have no doubt that you would get in to one of them. However, if you choose an allopathic psychiatry residency that is not dually accredited you will have to do an additional traditional internship year before starting as a PGY-1 unless you can get the AOA to waive the requirement (which can be a hassle).

There are very subtle differences between MD and DO most of the time, and if you really don't care about being one vs another then go with MD. I hate to say this, being one year away from DO status! But, it's reality. It hasn't hindered me at all, since I'm very content with a middle of the road residency and I'm in Michigan where AOA programs are abundant!

marie337, I think I will apply this year without DO..and if I don't get in to any MD programs this year, Ill apply DO the following year. Thank you for your advice.

However, if you choose an allopathic psychiatry residency that is not dually accredited you will have to do an additional traditional internship year before starting as a PGY-1 unless you can get the AOA to waive the requirement (which can be a hassle).

I thought that the traditional internship year was only required in those kooky 5 states!? I want to do a psych residency in Cleveland OH.

I thought that the traditional internship year was only required in those kooky 5 states!? I want to do a psych residency in Cleveland OH.
They're only required in 5 states, but if you want to practice in one of the 5 kooky states, you either need to get a waiver (Resolution 42, which , using the last match as evidence, is getting much much easier to get, even without a truly valid reason in a lot of cases) or you need to do a DO intern year. As far as I know, there is no DO psych residency program in Ohio, so you should have no problem with the waiver, as long as you apply for it. (Though the AOA is weird sometimes, so no guarantees)

Yeah, I always forget about that since the prospects of me leaving Michigan any time soon are not good! Thanks for clearing that up. I have heard that they're pretty generous with the waivers, but it just sounds like a hassle. I considered applying to U of M, but I doubt the AOA would give me a waiver with AOA programs an hour away.

They're only required in 5 states, but if you want to practice in one of the 5 kooky states, you either need to get a waiver (Resolution 42, which , using the last match as evidence, is getting much much easier to get, even without a truly valid reason in a lot of cases) or you need to do a DO intern year. As far as I know, there is no DO psych residency program in Ohio, so you should have no problem with the waiver, as long as you apply for it. (Though the AOA is weird sometimes, so no guarantees)

Yeah, no DO psych residency in OH, but I don't understand why I would need a waiver or to do a DO intern year since OH is not one of the five kooky states. I thought that the DO intern year was only required if you were in those states.

Yeah, no DO psych residency in OH, but I don't understand why I would need a waiver or to do a DO intern year since OH is not one of the five kooky states. I thought that the DO intern year was only required if you were in those states.

You wouldn't need a waiver if you do an allopathic psych residency in the non-kooky 45 states. Getting a waiver would allow you to practice in any of the 50 states after your residency if you chose to do so in the future.

one of the top psychiatry programs in the country. There were 4 DOs, 1 FMG, and 5 MDs.

I'd prefer to remain anonymous, but let's just say the program is one that most aspiring psych residents would bludgeon their own mothers to death to get into. :)