Do PT schools like to see students take a lot of related classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Luelinks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
and not just the pre-requisites?

My major: Human Nutrition, Foods, and Exercise (science of option) @ Virginia Tech has me taking classes outside of the pre-reqs, such as:

Concepts of Biochemistry
Organic Chem I & II
Methods of Human Nutrition Assessment
Exercise Physiology
Public Speaking
Nutrition Across the Lifespan
Metabolic Nutrition (Metabolism) I & II

and this isn't including controlled elective classes such as:

Exercise and Neuromuscular Performance
Kinesiology
Prevention and Care of Athletic Injuries
Concepts of Preventative and Therapeutic Exercise Prescription

On top of taking

Microbiology and Cell & Molecular Biology, while also taking both Abnormal, Developmental, and General Psychology.

Does that give a boost to say someone who just completes the required pre-requisites?

Members don't see this ad.

Pre-reqs are calculated separately so those matter the most.

The Orgo sequence will be relatively hard and isn't necessary for PT school. However, if you change and decide you want Dental/Med school and don't take them you'll really wish you did since its a pre-req for those. Biochemistry is interesting and is likely similarly a pre-req for those professions.

Take exercise phys that a pre-req some PT places, and is helpful.

All those psych classes is a pre-req somewhere for a school, take 'em. Same with bio sequence. Microbio is perhaps necessary if you go PA. Theraputic exercise would be helpful for PT.

Try these and see where you land, sounds like a good options for the cirruculum. Make a list of schools you'd be interested and understand what's needed where, you'll likely have a lot of overlap.

Best.

I have no clue. I only took the pre-reqs and my degree was in elementary/early childhood education and I got accepted to all 3 schools I applied to.

I think diversity is also something they consider.

I am in the same boat. My major is Exercise Science, but I have only really taken 2 classes pertaining to actual exercise and science. I had to go through the Orgo sequence, as well as metabolism I, II (yes, there are 2 classes devoted to that...which many find surprising. I also had to complete bio/biochem, and a bunch of psych classes.

While they don't necessarily pertain to PT school, like hefe pointed out, they're good to have if you change careers. I also feel like it makes me well rounded in many science backgrounds (such as dietetics and nutrition), which I even expressed in my interview. So perhaps it won't give you an 'advantage' but it's nice to throw out there, I guess.