Do PT schools value international/multicultural backgrounds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wildboar819

Reaction score
I’m applying this cycle to schools and so far have one interview (and had to turn down another due to scheduling conflicts), despite landing an interview I’m still not confident in getting in just because I know how competitive every program is. Last cycle fresh out of school I wasn’t finished with all my prerequisites, I think my LOR weren’t as good as I didn’t have many connections to really any PTs, so overall I think this year is a stronger application.

My stats aren’t terrible, obviously enough to land an interview. I struggled early on in undergrad, have retaken courses and done way better, applying with a 3.23 cumulative, 3.3-3.6 prerequisite depending on how it’s calculated, 152V/160Q/4.0W, 2000+ hours in an outpatient PT clinic that I’ve worked at the last 2-3 years. Undergrad was in Athletic Training, am certified as an ATC, have probably a couple thousand hours clinical experience there between undergrad requirements and 2 years as the ATC at a high school.

Outside of stats though, I’m hoping my background plays a part and would be of interest to PT schools. I’ve lived most of my life overseas, early childhood in Hawaii and then moved to Japan in 3rd grade on through graduating high school. I’ve also been fortunate enough to travel to a number of other countries and experiences many cultures outside what I consider my native ones. I’m hoping to use these multicultural/international experiences to show something I’d consider out of the norm for most people. I know often undergrad schools value diversity and different backgrounds, but I don’t know if grad schools might be more like “Really we just care about your grades.”

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely use your experience to your advantage! From what I can tell most PT schools are very dedicated to diversity and your experience could definitely make an impression if you sell it right and relate it to how it will make you a better PT practicing the states. Be confident and know you got an interview for a reason. IMO once you get an interview you’re on a pretty even playing field with other applicants. They have your app and like what they see, now they just want to get to know you and what makes you different and you’ll know exactly what to draw from. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.