DO rec letter after submitting

Cloud 9

Jul 28, 2010
    This is okay I'm sure but is it okay 2 months after submitting? Say I submit mid July and didn't get a letter until late August, will schools like VCOM not look at me until the letter comes in?

Iliketoytles

5+ Year Member
    Aug 23, 2011
    Texas
    1. Medical Student
      This is okay I'm sure but is it okay 2 months after submitting? Say I submit mid July and didn't get a letter until late August, will schools like VCOM not look at me until the letter comes in?

You submit LORs with your secondaries, not the primary. So if you submit in July, you likely won't get verified until August, and submit your secondary in September. You have till then to get your DO LOR.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
      Removed
      Dec 1, 2011
      1. Pre-Podiatry
        You submit LORs with your secondaries, not the primary. So if you submit in July, you likely won't get verified until August, and submit your secondary in September. You have till then to get your DO LOR.

Not to threadjack, but if I started shadowing a DO after I submit on June 1 I could have that DO submit an LOR before I get verified and it would work out?

About the Ads

Iliketoytles

5+ Year Member
        Aug 23, 2011
        Texas
        1. Medical Student
          Not to threadjack, but if I started shadowing a DO after I submit on June 1 I could have that DO submit an LOR before I get verified and it would work out?

Huh?

Again, you submit LORs with your secondaries. So if you submit June 1st and shadow a DO afterwards.... your primary will still get verified and sent to schools. Then the schools will still send you secondaries. You send your LOR when you submit your secondary.

So timewise... submit in June, get secondaries around July/August. So you have until then to get your DO LOR. If you get one before July/August, that's fine... Interfolio will store it for you (assuming you're using Interfolio).

Cloud 9

Jul 28, 2010
            Huh?

Again, you submit LORs with your secondaries. So if you submit June 1st and shadow a DO afterwards.... your primary will still get verified and sent to schools. Then the schools will still send you secondaries. You send your LOR when you submit your secondary.

So timewise... submit in June, get secondaries around July/August. So you have until then to get your DO LOR. If you get one before July/August, that's fine... Interfolio will store it for you (assuming you're using Interfolio).

Thanks for the quick reply! That's interesting, so we have to tell Interfolio to send LORs to every school we get a secondary from? Costly, but good news for me

FrkyBgStok

15+ Year Member
            Aug 7, 2005
            Midwest
            1. Fellow [Any Field]
              Thanks for the quick reply! That's interesting, so we have to tell Interfolio to send LORs to every school we get a secondary from? Costly, but good news for me

interfolio is costly but it is so easy it is worth it. And yes. it doesn't matter when you get your LOR as i won't do anything to verification, however you can't become complete at most schools without it.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
              Removed
              Dec 1, 2011
              1. Pre-Podiatry
                Huh?

Right, thank you for explaining that!

DrMediterranean

7+ Year Member
                Aug 4, 2011
                1. Medical Student
                  only downside to what you are doing is that you won't be able to list that you shadowed the DO in your primary application. but since it's probably not that many hours accumulated anyways and you only need the letter, it should be ok (i hope you have another physician that you shadowed listed in your primary application)

bluezoom21

Sep 4, 2011
                  Ogden, Utah
                  1. Medical Student
                    You may want to check with your pre-med department. Mine created my interfolio account at no cost to me and made sure to have all of my letters sent to the schools that I applied to for free. It was a big help to get that awesome service for free.

About the Ads
                    This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    7. This thread is locked.