Do residencies help with loan repayment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DenverOnARoll

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard a few of my residents allude to having help with their loans from their residency programs; and then one of my attendings giving advice to residents about how to "negotiate higher pay" if they didn't have any loans that the hospital could help them with.

Is this actually going on? Could they have been referencing some government programs?

(I saw a thread on here dated back to 2008 that basically said that rare to none residencies will help with loan repayment)

any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

For residency no. The only loan assistance would be to possibly set you up with income based repayment to keep payments low.

For attending jobs this would become relevant. Many programs will offer loan assistance to applicants who are looking for an attending job. I would hazard a guess the conversation you heard between attending and resident was meant for when the resident is applying for his own attending position.

You have plenty of time before it becomes relevant but when you start getting those offers for attending positions look at the loan repayment offers with a huge grain of salt; maybe it is a great job and the need is just that great but you have to wonder why the program has to offer $100k bonus to get people to practice there!

There are actually a small number of residencies that offer loan repayment during residency.

Do tell.

I've seen sign on bonuses as large as 11k for family residencies and various "housing allowances" over and above salary but that is the closest I've seen

During a residency fair at my school last year, I recall some FM residency programs in the more rural (but not horribly so) areas of Texas offering bonuses/loan repayment options.