Do residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vegangirl

DOctor begins with DO
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between the DO residencies and the MD residencies?????

Members don't see this ad.

There are specific requirements for the Osteopathic internship year. Some programs integrated the year into the residency (ie: FM, IM, peds), while others tack on an additional year.

Primary difference is that for the most part DO residencies are not as good as allopathic residencies. DO residencies are for the MOST PART, at least on east coast are set at small community hospitals, that lack education or variety of pathology of large university centers. However, there are some DO residencies that are part of so called dully accredited programs - where you spend first year doing a traditional internship, or even regular internship in some cases, that counts as traditional, and then you are in the same residency as allopathic residents and you are at the end accredited as having finished DO residency. These usually tend to be better. But the unfortunate truth is that DO residencies on average are poorer than MD residencies, and thats the main reason why many people are against the combined match.

Members don't see this ad :)
Khirurg said:
Primary difference is that for the most part DO residencies are not as good as allopathic residencies. DO residencies are for the MOST PART, at least on east coast are set at small community hospitals, that lack education or variety of pathology of large university centers. However, there are some DO residencies that are part of so called dully accredited programs - where you spend first year doing a traditional internship, or even regular internship in some cases, that counts as traditional, and then you are in the same residency as allopathic residents and you are at the end accredited as having finished DO residency. These usually tend to be better. But the unfortunate truth is that DO residencies on average are poorer than MD residencies, and thats the main reason why many people are against the combined match.

So can DO students apply to both MD and DO residencies at the same time, then wait to hear back from both, or can they only apply to one of the two?

You can apply to both, but currently if you get accepted into an AOA (DO) residency then your name is withdrawn from the ACGME match. Here is a better description from this website. It also describes some of the efforts being made to combine the two matches, although it is not looking promising at this time.

Blue Orchid said:
So can DO students apply to both MD and DO residencies at the same time, then wait to hear back from both, or can they only apply to one of the two?

Thats the thing, that if you go through AOA match, and match, you have to withdraw from the NRMP or allopathic match. If you are confident that you can obtain allo spot without going through the AOA match, fine, don't participate in it. However if you are taking a risk applying for the MD spots, but are not sure, and maybe quite a qualified candidate for a DO residency, you lose that AOA spot, if you bypass the AOA match. Combined match would lallow the people who want to apply for MD spots but want to have a safety net, without losing a shot at DO residency and at the same time not having to settle.
There have been articles in the DO magazines, and the reason for it that they feel that those who end up going for mediocre residencies get a chance to try to get something better without nervousness. That means that those mediocre residencies, and i am not saying ALL Do residencies are mediocre, but some truly are, might not get enough spots. So that's the main reason that you probably won't see combined match.

Khirurg said:
Thats the thing, that if you go through AOA match, and match, you have to withdraw from the NRMP or allopathic match. If you are confident that you can obtain allo spot without going through the AOA match, fine, don't participate in it. However if you are taking a risk applying for the MD spots, but are not sure, and maybe quite a qualified candidate for a DO residency, you lose that AOA spot, if you bypass the AOA match. Combined match would lallow the people who want to apply for MD spots but want to have a safety net, without losing a shot at DO residency and at the same time not having to settle.
There have been articles in the DO magazines, and the reason for it that they feel that those who end up going for mediocre residencies get a chance to try to get something better without nervousness. That means that those mediocre residencies, and i am not saying ALL Do residencies are mediocre, but some truly are, might not get enough spots. So that's the main reason that you probably won't see combined match.

Thank you for the honest input. I was wondering why DO's would do allo residencies, know I understand why :idea:

vegangirl said:
Thank you for the honest input. I was wondering why DO's would do allo residencies, know I understand why :idea:

Hopefully there will be enough allopathic residencies to go around for all of us then :) I've been looking at residency match lists to see where most DO graduates end up, and I was wondering if there are any particular states, schools, or hospitals that are NOT DO-friendly? (i.e. would MGH in Boston even bother with apps from DOs when it's a Harvard-affiliated hospital?)

Blue Orchid said:
Hopefully there will be enough allopathic residencies to go around for all of us then :) I've been looking at residency match lists to see where most DO graduates end up, and I was wondering if there are any particular states, schools, or hospitals that are NOT DO-friendly? (i.e. would MGH in Boston even bother with apps from DOs when it's a Harvard-affiliated hospital?)

It's easy to find out which programs are DO friendly by going to their website, and looking for a list of current residents to see if any DOs are there. If there are, then they will obviously accept DOs into their program.