DO residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UBCvan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure that this has been asked before but I can't find anything on it.

so i know all about different residencies that MD programs offer like internal medicine, neurology,blah blah...

what about DO residencies? can someone give me the list of possible residencies that DO schools offer (the ones that MDs can't apply)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure that this has been asked before but I can't find anything on it.

so i know all about different residencies that MD programs offer like internal medicine, neurology,blah blah...

what about DO residencies? can someone give me the list of possible residencies that DO schools offer (the ones that MDs can't apply)

Honestly I think that the whole policy that MDs cannot apply for DO residencies, only limits the knowledge of osteopathic medicine, thus limiting the knowledge of its' advantages.

p.s They have alot of the same residencies as MD, except they have an OMM residency. Generally they are located in the Midwest, OU has alot.

Honestly I think that the whole policy that MDs cannot apply for DO residencies, only limits the knowledge of osteopathic medicine, thus limiting the knowledge of its' advantages.

p.s They have alot of the same residencies as MD, except they have an OMM residency. Generally they are located in the Midwest, OU has alot.

so you're saying that DOs can have their own surgery, neurology, internal medicine residencies or cardiology fellowships?

Members don't see this ad :)
so you're saying that DOs can have their own surgery, neurology, internal medicine residencies or cardiology fellowships?

DOs have three options when applying for residencies: 1. They can apply to ACGME (MD residencies) 2. They can apply to AOA (DO residencies), which yes, are in every single field (see below), 3. They can apply to both, but this gets a bit tricky

Here is a list of every DO residency. As of now, they are only open to DO students, but this issue is currently up for debate.

http://opportunities.osteopathic.org

The issue is currently being discussed in a big AOA meeting and there is a debate going on concerning this issue in the Osteopathic forums, if you wanted to join in and voice your opinion.

The issue is currently being discussed in a big AOA meeting and there is a debate going on concerning this issue in the Osteopathic forums, if you wanted to join in and voice your opinion.

I think I might. Honestly if the issue is that allopathic training does not include omm, give them a course during their residency. If omm is not the problem then why does it matter? Isn't our science education essentially the same?

All this policy does is segregate MD and DOs, and in my mind delay the world where MDs and DOs are truly equals (might be awhile off...but look at the DO profession ten years ago, compared to today).

DOs have three options when applying for residencies: 1. They can apply to ACGME (MD residencies) 2. They can apply to AOA (DO residencies), which yes, are in every single field (see below), 3. They can apply to both, but this gets a bit tricky

Here is a list of every DO residency. As of now, they are only open to DO students, but this issue is currently up for debate.

http://opportunities.osteopathic.org

thanks for the great post.

i'm surprised that DOs can apply to let's say both DO Anesthesiology and MD Anesthesiology whereas MDs can only apply to MD Anesthesiology.

does it mean that DOs have a better chance of getting into residencies they like?

i'm surprised that DOs can apply to let's say both DO Anesthesiology and MD Anesthesiology whereas MDs can only apply to MD Anesthesiology.

does it mean that DOs have a better chance of getting into residencies they like?

I would think so, however some MD residencies are considered....how do I put this...."More Prestigious"

It's a very cool thing to learn, and technically, based on the sheer number of programs you could apply to, I guess there is a better chance. In reality, no. It's equal in my opinion ... and is really all about you as an applicant. If you have the grades, board scores, LORs, etc, to make it happen, then you will.

I think I might. Honestly if the issue is that allopathic training does not include omm, give them a course during their residency. If omm is not the problem then why does it matter? Isn't our science education essentially the same?

All this policy does is segregate MD and DOs, and in my mind delay the world where MDs and DOs are truly equals (might be awhile off...but look at the DO profession ten years ago, compared to today).

I posted all my points in the thread. I strongly oppose it.