Do Residency Directors care where you went to Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So just who got 265 on Step 1 and is AOA at Finch???

Members don't see this ad.

12 hrs/d x 75 d = 900 hrs of studying...

Members don't see this ad :)
skip u r funny.

i'd like to clarify, pathstudent, that barely passing the boards does not equate to being a bad medical student. does one only prepare for the boards in med school? no. in fact, the crux of med school happens after step I. you also may have been referring to step I, but even those two alone do not define a med stdeunt, nor do they say enything about letters of rec or how someone will come across in an interview. it's much broader than that. for some pd's perhaps not all that much broader, but in terms of the breadth of one's education, good god it goes well beyond the boards. and amen for that.

I have to agree with fresh,

I've heard that Cornell students "underperform" on the boards (based on the ranking of the school) But this is because of the teaching style: it's not geared toward the boards. I think their graduates still do well in the match and have attained the requisite level of preclinical competency. So to "just pass the boards" isn't necessarily shabby, and bears no indication on the quality of the school.
Any Cornell students around to comment?

I am not sure if I 100% agree with your statement that "bad board scores does not equal bad med student" As med students this is what we are supposed to spend the first couple of years learning the basic science behind disease, clinical presentation, and therapy. The next couple of years are spent on diagnosis and the rudiments of management along with what you learned the first couple of years, while the the intern year focuses on management, along with the skills and knowledge of the first four years. The Steps evaluate each stage.

Now I absolutely agree that a good board score does not equal a good doctor, but a truly bad yet passing Step 1 score (say in the bottom 20% or around 200 or less) raises serious questions about the student's knowledge base about the most fundamental aspects of medicine. You can still have great bed side manner and be able to develop a hell of a "therapeutic realtionship" but if you don't understand the science of medicine, the best you can ever hope to be is a technician that can follow flow charts.

Moreover, I am always suprised how well docs I respect know the basic science stuff which most of considered "BS minutia" when we were learning it.

Lastly, regarding a comment about "so and so" who is a radiologist, as recently as ten years ago, radiology was incredibly
easy to get into and didn't even fill. It used to be packed full of FMGs, and boy have they gotten over now that radiologists earn anywhere from 500,000 on up in private practice. Good for them.

Hi Guys,
I am kind of making my decision between Georgetown and Finch. I am interested in competitive residency in particular, ortho. It might be little cheaper going to Georgetown but not by much. I was having trouble finding any sort of ranking or so. Can someone help me out with this?

thanks

Originally posted by profunda
I just wanted to add that Neil Parker went to medical school in SUNY, no ivy league. He's the Dean of UCLA med.
What does that prove? He sucks. Are you listening Neil?

Funny....here I am at University of Arkansas medical school, and not even in the top of the class. Nothing that pathstudent has said makes me feel bad. In fact, I think what he/she says carries some merit. I do believe that I will be a competent, caring family physician, but I am realistic in that I will never be AOA, and neither would I have been a good match at Stanford or any of those high falutin' schools....lol. Kudos, though, to those who do it. They deserve to match superbly.

Originally posted by profunda
Because you say things that make other med students like those from Finch feel bad. Any med school is good and hard to get in, pass exams, fulfill requirements. Some people want to do peds and they dont care to go to Mass Gen ENT. Why are you making them feel bad that they're not at Stanford med or going to end up at MGH ENT?

The more interesting question to ask is how much going to a big name can help you land a competitive residency spot if youre bottom of the barrell in the class. Id have to say that going to harvard or yale undergrad does land you a spot in med school. I think the same sort of dynamics are in play if you go to the big H or Hopkins for med school.

chef said:
USC Doheny Ophtho Residency
JHU
HMS
WashU
USC
JHU
JHU
Stanford
USC
USC
U Health KS (DO)
USC
UCLA
HMS
UCLA
HMS
JHU
UCLA
HMS

Look at the DO in the middle of all those Johns Hopkin's grads. Anything really is possible. I'd love to know if there's a story there.

According to the new IM residency director at my school (something of a hired gun who has made a career out of turning poor performing programs into highly sought after ones and who teaches Kaplan Step 1 and 2 reviews) the general rule is:
Letters>Boards>Grades>Interview>School=AOA/PhD=Publications=etc.

Different schools may have slightly different orders (boards>letters, etc.) but this is a good rule of thumb. Every school will have students who match at Harvard/MGH, UofChicago or UCSF as well as students who have to scramble for prelim positions with no back-up. Your own personal performance is more important than where you make that performance.

E