DO residency or take my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spectrin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not to flame here but what would be the better option? Not interested in academics or teaching. Just want to secure a good job in Chicago.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you have anything to lose by going to a DO residency. Prestige of a residency's "name" is mostly an issue if you do want an academic career.

just finished residency in chicago... and i am an MD grad fwiw - i would do any of the allo programs if possible. you didn't clarify if you want to train in chicago but let's say you do. it's tough to get a good job in the area, and the DO program is very average at best. while you are judged to some degree as an individual, where you trained will weigh in quite a bit when getting a job - especially if you are looking for a job where you trained! from what i saw, you do have quite an advantage when getting a job in the area where you trained (i went elsewhere - chicago wasn't for me). from what i hear ccom is better than average for a DO program, but in my experience the residents were all over the map in terms of abilities and some were downright awful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im applying osteo, So I think you should take your chances :D .....let me know how it goes.

Unless you are wanting to work at one of the Ivory tower hospitals when you are done, your employers won't care. I went the DO route, and got an offer at every job that I applied to. Een the ones in the "high demamd" cities. In the end, an amployer will want to know if you can see patients, move them as fast as safely possible, and not be a tool. Outside of that no one cares where you went for residency. (Unless you are doing research or want to work at a Harvard, then you better to the allopathic route).

Unless you are wanting to work at one of the Ivory tower hospitals when you are done, your employers won't care. I went the DO route, and got an offer at every job that I applied to. Een the ones in the "high demamd" cities. In the end, an amployer will want to know if you can see patients, move them as fast as safely possible, and not be a tool. Outside of that no one cares where you went for residency. (Unless you are doing research or want to work at a Harvard, then you better to the allopathic route).

Totally agree 100%.

I'm the chief in my osteopathic program, and I got the job I wanted to get for next year right away, in a massive emergency department that sees approximately 100k pts per year. DO won't slow you down. Only you can hinder your chances.

Agreed. Jobs are gotten based on your qualifications first and the quality of your residency second.

I feel my residency was one of the best in the US but I got my job cause I was a chief (my employer only hires chiefs) and I had people in my program pull for me.

whats everyone's views on a busy DO program (something like the arrowhead program or pcom/aria health, those are quoted to have 100K+ ED visits according to osteo-opportunities) vs. a MD program thats maybe not as busy?

any differences in board certification, AOA vs. ACGME (i know albert einstein has dual accreditation)? What does it all mean...the accreditation? Will that affect my job market in the future?

any other pieces of advice as far as deciding which route to take as far as setting up interview rotations?

I'm a MS3 btw, trying to decide what to do with my rotations next year.

THANKS!!!

Busy doesn't always mean better. Sometimes the medium volume ED's see a better mix of stuff.

As for the ACOEP vs. ACEP, there's only one letter difference. Most jobs (unless it's at some super ivory tower academic facility) won't care. All they want is some residency trained (ACOEP or ACEP) EM physician that is eligible to sit through the boards. As I said before, the only person who can hinder your future is you.

whats everyone's views on a busy DO program (something like the arrowhead program or pcom/aria health, those are quoted to have 100K+ ED visits according to osteo-opportunities) vs. a MD program thats maybe not as busy?

any differences in board certification, AOA vs. ACGME (i know albert einstein has dual accreditation)? What does it all mean...the accreditation? Will that affect my job market in the future?

any other pieces of advice as far as deciding which route to take as far as setting up interview rotations?

I'm a MS3 btw, trying to decide what to do with my rotations next year.

THANKS!!!