Do residency programs have a "type"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I interviewed last week for a pretty large and well-respected residency program. I did pretty well and felt really good after the end of the day. I couldn't help noticing that every single one of the residents looked the exact same. All seven of the PGY-1 residents were filled with tall, attractive, white females. Am I reading into it too much or has anyone of you ever felt some of these programs have a "type"?

Members don't see this ad.

I second the "programs have a type". I believe residents often are VERY SIMILAR to each other. My personal opinion and observation.

Reactions: 1 user
I honestly think you're reading too much into it, just one interview day at one program is not representative of any sort of norm. The gender distribution may depend largely on the type of program (eg pediatrics tends to be more female heavy), but currently I believe more women are applying for residencies than men. I also am not sure how a program would really go about having a "type" just for interviews, unless they required a photo or something (but this would be an extremely dumb reason to accept/deny someone IMO). Then when it comes to fit with the program, surely the "type" is primarily based on personality and fit with the program.

I personally had many varied interview days and have had two years of diverse residency classes, even within a specific subspecialty. And I never really looked like the other candidates but who the heck cares.

tdlr worry more about the fit of your personality with a program than the fit of your physical appearance. and maybe look out for the pharmacy dept itself to see how diverse it is.