DO school gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

serene88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will most Osteopathic schools take students that have a gpa below 3.3? I don't plan on applying to D.O. school until another 2 years, but I've calculated my gpa to be around a 3.0 by the time that I apply. I really want to go to a D.O. school but I really want to know if this gpa will hinder me. I was also curious as to whether or not there is a trend among urm's being accepted to DO schools. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

it is going to be a very uphill battle for sure. people think that DO schools are easier to get into. they aren't. their GPAs and MCAT scores are getting very close to their allopathic counterparts. but all hope is not lost, just don't expect to be let in with no problem. your application will need to be stellar with that GPA but it is possible.

Or you'd at least need a really competitive MCAT score to improve your chances. Probably 30 or above.

Members don't see this ad :)
To answer your question, you will find that osteopathic schools average gpas in the 3.4 range. Schools do let in students with below a 3.3, but once you get around a 3.0 admission will get very difficult. You should try to destroy the mcats and have stellar EC's. Hopefully you will be able to get that gpa up a bit though. It is never too late.

To answer your question, you will find that osteopathic schools average gpas in the 3.4 range.

Oh I wish this number stays the same when I apply this summer! :xf:

There are MS programs for people who have GPA/MCAT issues. I did the one at KCOM (instead of taking a year off to figure out how to get in with a really poor GPA). I had a great experience, and would recommend people with sub-par stats to look into it.

Well I got in this year, to three schools....my DO science GPA was 2.95 and my cum was 3.27. That said...I went to a US News top 25 university and pretty much had a perfect app(other than GPA)...insane extracurricualars, MCAT of 32S, Great letters(including DO and MD). So its possible....but the one school that I interviewed at that had an open file interview, grilled me like there was no tomorrow on my lackluster science gpa....I still got into that school.

I think all-in-all....the MCAT was the biggest factor in off-setting my low gpa.

So long story short...have hope!

There are MS programs for people who have GPA/MCAT issues. I did the one at KCOM (instead of taking a year off to figure out how to get in with a really poor GPA). I had a great experience, and would recommend people with sub-par stats to look into it.

Didn't you have to take a year off anyways since you applied to the DO program at the end of your MS year? or?

I got accepted with a 2.85 cgpa and a 2.98 sgpa. But i have quite a bit of clinical experience. So not all hope is lost if you have a 3.0

Will most Osteopathic schools take students that have a gpa below 3.3? I don't plan on applying to D.O. school until another 2 years, but I've calculated my gpa to be around a 3.0 by the time that I apply. I really want to go to a D.O. school but I really want to know if this gpa will hinder me. I was also curious as to whether or not there is a trend among urm's being accepted to DO schools. Thanks

URM's with lackluster stats are the star recruits at some schools. I would skim through AACOM's CIB and check out the demographics at each school. I'm sure some schools have a quota to meet, while others, like Touro-CA, don't have a single African American in the entire school.

URM's with lackluster stats are the star recruits at some schools. I would skim through AACOM's CIB and check out the demographics at each school. I'm sure some schools have a quota to meet, while others, like Touro-CA, don't have a single African American in the entire school.

How lackluster? Im completing my pre-reqs, and I plan on repeating one class I got a F in 5 years ago and classes I got Cs in. My cgpa will be about 3.1 an sgpa around 3.7 after I finish my classes. And I happen to be a blacky. I didnt think URMs got much wiggle room for less than stellar stats.

I didnt think URMs got much wiggle room for less than stellar stats.

For med schools, you might not. Why not contact some of the schools you are interested in and ask?

How long would it take you to bring your GPA up to a 3.4?

Or you'd at least need a really competitive MCAT score to improve your chances. Probably 30 or above.

I disagree 100% with you. I think it depends on the school applied to. If you know you GPA is <3.3, only apply to schools that have high acceptance with those thats. (ie LECOM-eerie, LMU, VCOM) Also, a 30+ MCAT is not needed at those schools, especially if the OP is URM. Just my 2 cents, which is actually 0 cents, a 3.0 and a 24 MCAT will get you into somewhere. The negatives: you now lose your luxury to pick a school based on your taste, you are 100% at the mercy of the schools adcom boards to want you. Good luck!:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to everyone for the advice. As far as clinical experience is concerned, I've been working for 6 months now at a physical therapy/orthopedic practice as a physical therapy aide and became very interested in osteopathic medicine as a result. I didn't know what I wanted to do when I first started out at college nor did I take my education seriously, hence my low grades, not to mention the fact that I was going through a whole bunch of personal issues that I won't get into. I'm at a cc now and plan on taking lower level science courses and graduating with an AA degree. Afterwards, I plan on transferring to a four year school and completing the rest of my prereqs as well as upper level science courses to bring my gpa up. Does this sound like a good plan? In addition, what else do you think I should do to make myself a more competitive applicant?

Last edited:
This might be a really stupid question, but if you don't plan on applying for another two years, how do you already know your GPA? I'm assuming you graduated and are doing something else? If so, then take more classes at the undergrad level to boost your GPA. If not, then start to focus more on your classes and aim for higher grades. A 3.0 is pretty poor, even at a D.O. school (especially if it is not combined with a decent MCAT).

Also, remember that the stats people are quoting are the stats today. Two years from now, schools will be more competitive so borderline stats that might get you looked at today, most likely will not in two years.

And, it's always preferably to be in the drivers seat and have your pick of schools rather than being at the mercy of the adcoms (currently, you are completely at their mercy).

P.S. - I just read your second post, focus on getting as many As as possible in your classes. Your plan sounds reasonable.

For med schools, you might not. Why not contact some of the schools you are interested in and ask?

How long would it take you to bring your GPA up to a 3.4?

An extra year maybe if I repeat some more classes and do upper division bio classes. Im starting from a 2.3 cGPA, and ill end up with As in bio 1 and chem 1 this semester.

An extra year maybe if I repeat some more classes and do upper division bio classes. Im starting from a 2.3 cGPA, and ill end up with As in bio 1 and chem 1 this semester.

You could always apply and keep taking classes. If you get in the first time, good. If not, apply the next year with your better GPA.

I have two Ds in computer science classes 6 years ago due to family issues. I have changed my major since then to nursing. I have been a nurse now for four years and I wanna get into a DO school .My cGPA is sitting at 3.1 and my sGPA is 3.4+ ( 27P MCAT). I can get my cGPA to 3.2 after this summer. I wanna know whether I should retake these classes because forgot everything about computer science.
The name of these classes are:
Formal Languages and Automata Theory
Microprocessor Applications
Should I retake these classes or apply with my stats (for 2012) as they are? I can retake the MCAT and up my score to 30+. Advice please...

I'd only re-take those classes if you are confident that you can get As.
I think your combination of GPA and MCAT should be good for some DO schools. If you are not fixated on getting to the ones with much higher stats I think you should apply now.

I have two Ds in computer science classes 6 years ago due to family issues. I have changed my major since then to nursing. I have been a nurse now for four years and I wanna get into a DO school .My cGPA is sitting at 3.1 and my sGPA is 3.4+ ( 27P MCAT). I can get my cGPA to 3.2 after this summer. I wanna know whether I should retake these classes because forgot everything about computer science.
The name of these classes are:
Formal Languages and Automata Theory
Microprocessor Applications
Should I retake these classes or apply with my stats (for 2012) as they are? I can retake the MCAT and up my score to 30+. Advice please...

...I went to a US News top 25 university...

The fact that you have a low GPA from a high ranking school probably weighs more on why your GPA was overlooked than the fact that the rest of your app was fantastic. Generally speaking, a 3.5GPA at a more renowned college is looked at to be equivalent to a 3.9/4.0 at lower level universities.

Of course, this is arguable, and others might disagree, but this is what I've always been told!

Try your best to bring your GPA up as much as possible. Because showing improvement in your later years in college goes a long way, especially if you are taking advanced and graduate level science courses. Being a B student doesn't discount you from medical school (and don't let these arrogant ****s on SDN tell you differently, or discourage you). With that being said, it will be an uphill battle and your ECs and MCAT will need to be competitive. But plenty of options exist for someone in your situation if post graduation you are willing to put in the time, such as a masters degree, a job doing research (with a publication if you can swing it), or maybe a post bac (not something i would recommend, but the decision is yours). If your school has a Pre-Health Advisory Committee, it would be wise to go in and speak to a counselor and see what they have to say. Just remember to try and stay positive because, "If you will it, It is no dream!" Theodore Herzel.

Last edited:
In case people haven't noticed ... someone made an account called 'JagerPlate' ... my name is 'JaggerPlate.' This person copied my avatar and status, and is now trying to post as me on the forums.

I've actually figured out who this troll is now too ... was banned a few weeks ago.

In case people haven't noticed ... someone made an account called 'JagerPlate' ... my name is 'JaggerPlate.' This person copied my avatar and status, and is now trying to post as me on the forums.

I've actually figured out who this troll is now too ... was banned a few weeks ago.
I noticed this and was getting a little confused. I hope this all gets worked out