DO School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kId noser

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am applying to DO schools and trying to compile a list. cGPA: 3.54, MCAT: 499, retook 4/28 (waiting for results), resident of Maryland. I'm strapped for cash, but also want to cover my bases. Also are there any schools that I should avoid because of poor programs or the like?

Members don't see this ad.

What are your EC's? Any shadowing or clinical volunteering hours?
Worked at restaurant two years, volunteer with disadvantaged students 90 hours, tutoring middle school students for 360 hours. Going to begin volunteering at a hospital/shadowing this week. Shadowed a DO doctor for 20 hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try to accumulate at least 100 hospital volunteering hours before you apply and try to submit your application in July and all your secondaries by August. Schools where you could receive an interview with your stats include:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCUCOM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
UIWSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah
LUCOM
any new schools that open for 2018 (there may be several).
Post your April MCAT score here when available and you may be able to add more schools depending on your score. Your lack of EC's may limit the number of interviews you could receive so you will need to apply to many schools to maximize your chances for interviews. Of course a greatly improved MCAT will help.

Try to accumulate at least 100 hospital volunteering hours before you apply and try to submit your application in July and all your secondaries by August. Schools where you could receive an interview with your stats include:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCUCOM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
UIWSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah
LUCOM
Post your April MCAT score here when available and you may be able to add more schools depending on your score. Your lack of EC's may limit the number of interviews you could receive so you will need to apply to many schools to maximize your chances for interviews. Of course a greatly improved MCAT will help.
I was planning on submitting the application today and to update experience after a while. Is it better if I hold of on submitting until I rack up more hours?

I was planning on submitting the application today and to update experience after a while. Is it better if I hold of on submitting until I rack up more hours?
It is better to have the hours of volunteering on your initial application. Most schools do not begin interviewing until September and the interviewing season is longer for DO schools (into April).

Reactions: 1 user
It is better to have the hours of volunteering on your initial application. Most schools do not begin interviewing until September and the interviewing season is longer for DO schools (into April).

Will I be at a significant disadvantage if I wait to submit my DO app on the same day as my MD app (June 1)?

ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCUCOM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
UIWSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah
LUCOM
So far I have 56 hours of volunteering and shadowing at the ED. Going for about 100+ before I start scribing at the ED. Does that sound good? Also got back mcat score, didn't do as hot as I wanted, 506. Do I have a reasonable shot at DO and any at MD or should I retake? Shout out to the wizard @Faha and the rest of the crew of wizards @Goro @gyngyn

You are competitive for all the DO schools I listed with your MCAT of 506. You could add LECOM (both schools).
Thanks for all the help @Faha. One last question, should I apply at UMD, and for DO- CCOM, PCOM, NSCOM, Rowan?

You can add those DO schools though they are more competitive and Rowan has an instate preference. UMD is worth applying to but as you know is difficult to get into even for state residents.

You can add those DO schools though they are more competitive and Rowan has an instate preference. UMD is worth applying to but as you know is difficult to get into even for state residents.
Are there any other MD schools that are worth applying to?