Do schools call recommendation letter writers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aleyna

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do schools call recommendation letter writers? One of my writers will be out of the country for almost a year...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a school contact a recommendation writer the day before I was accepted to that school. He said that they asked him what he thought about me as a person. I think it is a bit strange, but maybe they just wanted to make sure he actually knew me and it wan't just a generic letter. Anyways, I'm sure this is rare, but I wanted to let you know that it can happen.

I wish they would call them. I have become even closer to one of my letter writers since he sent the letter...

I've had a school contact one of my employers and another an organization I volunteer for, but never a recommendation writer.

I hope they talk to the right people if they try to call the squad I volunteer for. I would hate for one of the crazies to pick up the phone and think it was funny to joke around.

Do schools call recommendation letter writers? One of my writers will be out of the country for almost a year...

Bottom line is I wouldnt worry about it - if by chance they decide to contact this individual and can't, it shouldnt hurt your reputation with the school.

Actually, now that I think about it one of my LORs was from a previous employer and when we stopped doing business things got very rough. Needless to say we don't talk anymore and I know he'd love the chance to tell an ADCOM I was a sexual predator/part-time terrorist.