do schools care about CDC titer guidelines or do their own thing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trc0011

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm confused. My body, for whatever reason, refuses to show immunity to measles. According to CDC guidelines (straight from their website), "Presumptive evidence of immunity to measles for persons who work in health-care facilities includes any of the following: Recommendations and Reports MMWR / November 25, 2011 / Vol. 60 / No. 7 13 • written documentation of vaccination with 2 doses of live measles or MMR vaccine administered at least 28 days apart,† • laboratory evidence of immunity,§ • laboratory confirmation of disease, or • birth before 1957.¶" (https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/pdf/rr/rr6007.pdf). I currently work in a hospital and have had two separate MMR vaccines administered over 30+ days apart. This would cover the CDC guidelines for presumptive immunity. However, my titers show that I am not immune. The school I am starting at in the fall is requesting that I get a booster MMR vaccine and redo titers in 4-6 weeks. I have discussed with the school that, according to CDC guidelines, I am presumptively immune. They have responded saying that it is their policy that I get the booster and redo titers. Is this an absurd thing to ask? I feel like CDC guidelines would take precedence and schools would really only be concerned with being within those guidelines. Should I press this issue or just suck it up and pay the money to get the booster/titers?

Members don't see this ad.

Some people never produce antibodies for certain vaccines. This is more commonly an issue for Hep B than measles and probably is far more important. I would talk to your schools assistant dean or someone in administration about your health records and if they say do another booster, then go ahead and do it. If you fail to produce antibodies at that point, they'll presume you're immune and or compliant with their requirements.

I'm a nurse and have been overly vaccinated for the past 6 years lol. I have had a few MMRs and still have no immunity to mumps, per the titers at least. I even had mumps as a kid, medical confirmed by my PCP.

The school saw I had low titers and just wanted a booster after the draws. But they didn't request another titer level. If you get the titers after your boosters and still show no immunity they probably won't care. They can't make your body produce antibodies.

I've been through two Hep B series and still have no antibodies. They usually just look, confirm that you've been through it, and you're good to go.

I mean, my mumps titer waned too, and I'm so old, I was vaccinated prior to the MMR being one shot. Also fine.