worse on level2 than step2, is this bad or should i not care?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JimBone905

OMS4
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got a 245 on step 2 but a 510 on level 2!
step 1: 227
level 1: 540

What a bummer.. I thought level 2 was so easy, but i guess i didnt study OMT as well as i could have. to be fair, a lot of the OMT i saw was super vague... Felt great walking out of level 2 as well, not sure what happened.

I'll be applying to anesthesia/academic IM. Is this level 2 going to hurt/screen me out, or am I still fine because of my step 2 > level 2?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've heard, you're good

Reactions: 1 user
Got a 245 on step 2 but a 510 on level 2!
step 1: 227
level 1: 540

What a bummer.. I thought level 2 was so easy, but i guess i didnt study OMT as well as i could have. to be fair, a lot of the OMT i saw was super vague... Felt great walking out of level 2 as well, not sure what happened.

I'll be applying to anesthesia/academic IM. Is this level 2 going to hurt/screen me out, or am I still fine because of my step 2 > level 2?
Twenty eight out of 108 DO with S2 between 241 and 250 did not match anesthesia. You have a 74% chance of matching based with your 245 S2. Back up may be needed.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Twenty eight out of 108 DO with S2 between 241 and 250 did not match anesthesia. You have a 74% chance of matching based with your 245 S2. Back up may be needed.
What about my level 2. Will that hurt me or does nobody care?

tbh i would be more worried about your step 1 than anything else. most will look at your comlex but not weigh it that much unless its a traditional AOA program or a tie breaker, otherwise step is definitely more widely used.

What about my level 2. Will that hurt me or does nobody care?
It certainly doesn't help. I don't know that I would do anything differently though--your step 1 already put you in a place where it's risky to apply to anesthesia, and you already said you were co-applying to IM. You should be able to match IM if you don't match anesthesia.

It certainly doesn't help. I don't know that I would do anything differently though--your step 1 already put you in a place where it's risky to apply to anesthesia, and you already said you were co-applying to IM. You should be able to match IM if you don't match anesthesia.
So a primary anesthesia and secondary IM app wouldn't be a bad idea?

So a primary anesthesia and secondary IM app wouldn't be a bad idea?
I don't think so. You always risk the possibility that you wind up not matching as well as you otherwise would have by just "going for it" in either specialty alone (i.e. neither application is as strong as it could have been because your attention was divided). But if you want to have some chance of anesthesia, and you really don't want to SOAP/reapply, then dual app seems reasonable.