DO schools focusing on global health?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1142566

My parents want me to add a few DO schools as well. They just want me to stay focused on becoming a doctor rather than wander career-wise if I don’t get into an MD school and have to take another gap year. And they have the best of intentions.

But I have very specific career goals. Global health is the most important thing for me. I want to spend a good chunk of my career focusing on access to affordable medical technology (like CT, MRI, etc) across the world. So I want to attend a school with good bioengineering research as well as global health opportunities.

What DO schools fit this?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm.. so it didn't sound like you really want to be a doctor.

What have you found through a Google search? What area of public health? Why sent you interested in domestic health? Why not work for a medical nonprofit in the health tech industry? Why not stay in a masters in engineering and collaborating there?

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
From my experience researching DO schools they are very patient centered. Based on that I don’t think you would be a good fit for what you want to do. It also sounds like you’re not interested in medical school, but that is another story.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My parents want me to add a few DO schools as well. They just want me to stay focused on becoming a doctor rather than wander career-wise if I don’t get into an MD school and have to take another gap year. And they have the best of intentions.

But I have very specific career goals. Global health is the most important thing for me. I want to spend a good chunk of my career focusing on access to affordable medical technology (like CT, MRI, etc) across the world. So I want to attend a school with good bioengineering research as well as global health opportunities

What DO schools fit this?
Tell your parents that they're not the ones applying to medical school, you are and you will do so on your own time, and decisions.

And if you don't want to be a doctor, grow a spine and tell them now.

you can go into biotech and still do outreach to bring tech to these countries. Your global health desires don’t speak to specifically doctoring these communities. One does not have to be a doctor to get involved in outreach.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
want to spend a good chunk of my career focusing on access to affordable medical technology (like CT, MRI, etc) across the world.
Why can't you join Home - Engineers Without Borders USA
Donate Medical Supplies & Equipment | Project CURE
MedWish International – Repurpose. Save Lives.
Non-profit | Medical Bridges | Houston ?

Right now Ukraine really needs the help, as well as many other places around the world like Afghanistan, Syria, Africa, etc.

FWIW, Virginia Tech has a strong biomedical engineering program.

Last edited:
  • Love
I will leave the question of whether what you're describing really fits with being a doctor to the side for now. Also the general question of whether or not DOs can be licensed in other countries.

The other additional point I always make is that med school is not your one and only chance to determine the course of your career. If you don't get into an MD school with an amazing BME department or great global health opportunities, you can always do your best wherever you get in and aim for those kinds of programs for residency/fellowship. Of course you may not be successful then either, but that's part of the benefit of getting an MD/DO--it's a very flexible degree, and even if you "fail" to achieve the exact career goals you're hoping for you will still have plenty of good career options.

So bottom line--while you should absolutely prioritize the "dream" schools that check all of your boxes, you also should apply to any/all schools that fit your stats and that you would reasonably be willing to attend.