do schools in ohio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicine-for-me

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some input on DO schools in Ohio, more specifically northeastern ohio? i am kind of leaning towards osteopathic but dont know of any do schools right by me (i dont want to go to far for med school) and neoucom is only 30 minutes away from me so i may just go there and do the MD route. I would be fine with either but would just prefer DO.
Thanks
Tiff

Members don't see this ad.

If you are from NE Ohio (are you from Cleveland?) LECOM (Erie PA) is closer to you than OUCOM. Otherwise, I think there is a school or schools up in Michigan, also.

Actually, as far as I know NEOUCOM (northeastern ohio college of medicine) is an allopathic school. The only Osteopathic Medical School in Ohio is OUCOM, which is in Athens, OH.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear Pre Med

I thought I would give my .02 about the whole medical school process. I think you may want to do a search and read my "Got Beer" Post. That will tell you, in gist, the basic plan on how to approach the medical school admission process. As for schools, I am a Ohio resident that chose to apply DO only. I felt more comfortable and believed in the principles. Nothing against MDs, but I feel the training that a majority of DOs get is bar none. The only DO school in Ohio is OUCOM in Athens, OH. The closest ones to the state of Ohio will be Pikeville (KY), Lake Erie (PA) and MSUCOM (MI). By being an ohio resident, you have an advantage in the process since OU is required by state law to fill their student class with 80 to 85% Ohio residents. If you have a GPA higher than 3.4 and a MCAT higher than 25. I would say it be a good shot to apply to other schools. I applied to schools and thought I would never hear from them. However, I recieved acceptances and now I am going to a s chool that I once thought I had a long shot of getting into. I hope this helps and keep the faith!!

Hi!

I'm also an Ohio resident who applied DO only...I would suggest that you go read DoctorDoogie's Got Beer thread.

Yes, OUCOM is the only Ohio DO school. However, there are other DO schools very close to Ohio. I'm headed for LECOM in August.

One word of advice...don't get your heart set on one school. Really investigate all the schools and talk with several students from each learning pathway. You need to find a school where YOU will be happy. Please take everything into account when applying. If you truly want to be a DO, go DO!

If you have any questions IM me at sk8beaker8