Ohio Hospital System Fires 23, CEO Resigns in Wake of OD Deaths

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BorntobeDO?

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you guys have the medscape email, but this appeared in my inbox today. Apparently a DO Critical care doc was fired, and they are claiming he ODed ICU patients on Fentanyl (along with several other doctors and a bunch of nurses). They are calling 500 mcg of Fentanyl or more ODing for these patients. Now I am assuming that these patients were intubated and on Fentanyl/Midazolam drips, so 500 mcg isn't all that hard to get to over a couple days of intubation, but this may not be the actual case.

Just wanted to know if anyone knows more details about this. Cause a cursory read made me think the hospital got sued and threw this group and the unit under the bus, but I don't know this to be true.

Link: Ohio Hospital System Fires 23, CEO Resigns in Wake of OD Deaths
Extra link: Ohio Doctor Charged With 25 Counts of Murder for Giving Fatal Opioid Doses

Members don't see this ad.

I do believe earlier reports said that he was giving doses in the 4,000mcg range. There were also accusations of paralytic usage prior to brain activity testing and/or end of life discussions..

Also I believe this round of 23 terminations is round 2 of firings..

Last edited:
Why have most of the medical troubles that have made the front page involved DOs:unsure:

Members don't see this ad :)
Why have most of the medical troubles that have made the front page involved DOs:unsure:

The letters don't matter. I'd argue more MDs have been involved in scandals, literally only because there's more of them. There's also bias from this being the DO sub-forum.

Reactions: 4 users
That doctor also had a conviction for setting off pipe bombs during his college days.