DO Schools merge with International MD - Poll

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should DO Schools merge with Offshore MD schools?

• Yes, let's have Costeopathic Schools and a C.O. degree!

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • No, let's keep them separate and suffer "DO vs. IMG" threads in silence

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • Are you daft?

Votes: 29 56.9%
  • Let's add in Chiropractic to end the DO vs. Chiropractic threads

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

theraball

Panned
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm tired of all these threads where someone wants to know whether it's better to attend an osteopathic medical school in the U.S. or to attend an offshore allopathic school (typically in the Caribbean).

So I'm proposing a union of all DO schools with all offshore MD schools which will put an end forever to this kind of thread. The new degree will be called C.O. -- "Caribbean Osteopathic". The schools will be "costeopathic" and will include all the domestic DO schools and every MD school in the Caribbean.

Comments?

Members don't see this ad.

*Sunny puts down her roobios tea, folds up her Sunday paper, takes off her robe and slippers and goes looking for her flame suit*

istockphoto_842320_flame_boy.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
*takes out popcorn and soda*

This is a flame war waiting to happen.

I don't have much flaming to do...

I would have liked to see sunny hit the OP with that newspaper instead of folding it up...

OP:

That is quite possibly the stupidest thing I ever heard.

Everyone knows that IMG= pseudo-physicians :rolleyes:
and that DO = Doctor of Optometry

duh

:smuggrin:

*Pops OP on the nose with rolled up newspaper*

"BAD PRE-MED! BAD PRE-MED!":laugh:

*Wonders if she can get one o' them DO eye doctors to give her some spectacles so she can read her crushed newspaper*

79445002_bbf98cc7c5.jpg

p.s to the OP:
If you are tired of threads DO vs. IMG i do not follow your logic of opening one.:rolleyes:

*Pops OP on the nose with rolled up newspaper*

"BAD PRE-MED! BAD PRE-MED!":laugh:

*Wonders if she can get one o' them DO eye doctors to give her some spectacles so she can read her crushed newspaper*

ow!!!

I would have liked to see sunny hit the OP with that newspaper instead of folding it up...

OP:

duh

LOL. :laugh:

OP:

duh

:laugh:

The OP is not even worth the respect of a flame war.

Oh come on, where's your spirit? Let's get a good, meaty discussion going here. All revolutions begin in someone's kitchen.

Thanks, but no thanks. I am sort of on probation, I will wait for something more worthwhile. I don't see anything here that is worth me being banned.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm tired of all these threads where someone wants to know whether it's better to attend an osteopathic medical school in the U.S. or to attend an offshore allopathic school (typically in the Caribbean).

So I'm proposing a union of all DO schools with all offshore MD schools which will put an end forever to this kind of thread. The new degree will be called C.O. -- "Caribbean Osteopathic". The schools will be "costeopathic" and will include all the domestic DO schools and every MD school in the Caribbean.

Comments?

Have you been studying too much lately??

:laugh: Honestly! People that are scared of being a DO should not go to a DO school. I am a student of KCOM. Instead of starting a friggin' flame war on SDN, visit a school you are interested in. I did last year, and I had all of my questions answered in 1 hour. "Costeopaths" would also have to take the new USCOMPLE board exams in addition to the COMLEX and USMLE.

Also, would manipulations be done with steel drum tables and margaritas?
Could Costeopaths practice outside of Hawaii and Arkansas?

OP:

duh

DO stands for Doctor of oAwesome (the 'o' is silent):laugh:

:laugh: Honestly! People that are scared of being a DO should not go to a DO school. I am a student of KCOM. Instead of starting a friggin' flame war on SDN, visit a school you are interested in. I did last year, and I had all of my questions answered in 1 hour. "Costeopaths" would also have to take the new USCOMPLE board exams in addition to the COMLEX and USMLE.

Also, would manipulations be done with steel drum tables and margaritas?
Could Costeopaths practice outside of Hawaii and Arkansas?
I don't think any of us are scared......I think its more we just see the issues with the AOA and question whether there is any reason for a second degree to even exist. If KCOM were not a DO program it would be one of my top choices (it's my one of my top choices among DO programs).

Honestly I think the continued seperation and the resulting stigma that might exist among any particular group (*cough* premeds *cough*) is doing more to harm to the DO programs (by preventing the best and brightest from attending those programs in large numbers) than simply admitting they are no different and beginning to issue MD degrees with an optional masters or diploma in manipulation for the exceedingly small number of people who really give a **** about that aspect of the current DO curriculum.

I don't think any of us are scared......I think its more we just see the issues with the AOA and question whether there is any reason for a second degree to even exist. If KCOM were not a DO program it would be one of my top choices (it's my one of my top choices among DO programs).

Honestly I think the continued seperation and the resulting stigma that might exist among any particular group (*cough* premeds *cough*) is doing more to harm to the DO programs (by preventing the best and brightest from attending those programs in large numbers) than simply admitting they are no different and beginning to issue MD degrees with an optional masters or diploma in manipulation for the exceedingly small number of people who really give a **** about that aspect of the current DO curriculum.

I agree. Hell, make the manipulations a fellowship or residency program option.

Again, go to a DO school if you want to be a DO. I came to KCOM because I met a KCOM grad that was doing her anesthesia residency at the University of Washington. My junior year at UW, I was working in the UWMC operating room. She was the gas resident on call, and we had nothing to do. I saw a DO on her nametag and asked her what it was. She talked with me for 6 hours that day, and many more times after that. She turned down a UC school acceptance to go to KCOM. Every Attending rated her in the top 5 of 50 or so residents. But she spent the time to talk with me about her school, and even invited me for beer and pizza (I was just 21, couldn't resist)!

The fact of the matter is that I applied only to KCOM, and have never questioned myself. The manipulation is an important part of what makes a DO a DO, whether or not they use it.

In conclusion:

KCOM is awesome! (coming from a Seattle city boy)
Go to a DO school to become a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine.
"Costeopath"= Margaritas and Hammock manipulations, but only in a few cities.

I used to work with an orthopedic surgeon whose father is on faculty at KCOM. Suffice to say, I'm impressed by KCOM more than I am most schools (associated with either degree). I don't see what "wanting to be a DO" has to do with anything.....seeing as a very pathetically small minority of DOs do anything to differentiate themselves from allopathic physicians. Why would be it so wrong to adjust that to "Go to KCOM only if you want to be a physician!"......?

Let me put it another way, using an example...

I met a UW resident (anesthesia) who went to another DO school. He was waitlisted at an MD school and accepted to the DO program. He is now upset that he went DO, only because of the DO on his coat.

It would SUCK to pay $200,000+ for medical school and not be completely satisfied with a DO.

If you would be as happy with a DO as with an MD, then go DO.

Hope that clears my statement up...

I have seen one or two...

I think it went under. I saw it 2 years ago, offered a DO or MD. I am suprised that a non US school offered a DO. BSc (osteo) is the degree given in England and Australia. We have a couple of guys on staff that got their osteopath degrees in those countries. Where is the Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree offered outside of the US?

There is at least one "quasi international" "school" run by a NOVA grad which teaches "osteopathic manipulation" sans the rest of the DO training. I say "quasi international" since some of the training actually takes place in the US. Their forum also makes for some interesting reading - sort of like SDN in some bizarre parallel universe...The Osteopathic Health and Wellness Institute

"The Osteopathic College of Ontario and OHWI are now conducting a comprehensive program. The International Certificate Program in Manipulative Theory & Practice is an intensive two-year program in Osteopathy designed specifically for existing healthcare practitioners."

They also have a somewhat interesting site of interviews with old school DOs at http://www.osteopathy1000.org/

Where is the Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree offered outside of the US?

I don't believe anywhere.

Caribbean Osteopath... no, because then people are going to accuse me of not being able to get into a Caribbean MD school! :eek:

Caribbean Osteopath... no, because then people are going to accuse me of not being able to get into a Caribbean MD school! :eek:
Good point.....because I imagine the decision tree would go something like:
DKMChart3.jpg

I agree with the OP. The DO degree is clearly inferior to the US MD degree. Since only ******s go to either DO or Carribean school, we might as well place them on the same level. Not that it matters, they would inherently become worse doctors either way and only get poor patients who cant afford to see someone with a mild level of competence. We can only hope they dont kill their patients LOL! These Chiropractor wannabes need to realize their place! :D

Every time I see one of these combining DO with MD threads, I feel the need to post:
Freezer_cheguevara.jpg

Because it would take a revolution to unseat the AOA and the others who would wage a jihad to prevent it.

I agree with the OP. The DO degree is clearly inferior to the US MD degree. Since only ******s go to either DO or Carribean school, we might as well place them on the same level. Not that it matters, they would inherently become worse doctors either way and only get poor patients who cant afford to see someone with a mild level of competence. We can only hope they dont kill their patients LOL! These Chiropractor wannabes need to realize their place! :D
This thread is as good as locked now.

Thick sarcasm??

*Rolls up newspaper, swats Prazmatic on the nose*

BAD MS-2! BAD MS-2!!

/sarcasm off. :smuggrin:

~~~~~

Status
Not open for further replies.