DO schools ranked among top 50 US Med Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

annushka

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've crossposted this to the Pre-Osteopathic forum as well...

According to the recent US News ranking, 2 of the top 50 US Primary Care Medical Schools are Osteopathic Schools (MSUCOM and TCOM)!!!

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/med/brief/mdprank_brief.php

Sure, 2 is not much...but there are only 20 DO schools in the United states altogether--so I say not bad!

Hopefully next year, there will be even more! :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Not to downplay your exuberance, my feeling is that the US News rankings are kind of a joke. If you look at the methodology used I think you'll see why. Still, I do join you in your enthusiasm when I see more DO schools each year make the top 50, mostly because I think any publicity for DO schools is a good thing.

A better measure of a med school's reputation should be the average board scores of the graduating classes. Here at TCOM the percentile for step 1 of the COMLEX is only like a 55. Yet we are the second ranked osteopathic school in primary care. KCOM ranks much higher than TCOM in this regard, yet they are not even on the list. The real thing to look at on those rankings is the residency director ranking, which for the DO schools is still pretty low.

The true value of the US News rankings is the publicity the schools receive from them. For example, since getting into the top 50 two years ago, the level of student we have attracted at TCOM has gone up considerably. I have spoken with many underclassmen that have said that seeing TCOM ranked at 22 was a factor in why they chose it over a school like Texas Tech. In that respect, and that respect alone, I am happy that we've made the list. Beyond that though, I would have to argue that the rankings aren't worth the paper they are written on.

annushka said:
I've crossposted this to the Pre-Osteopathic forum as well...

According to the recent US News ranking, 2 of the top 50 US Primary Care Medical Schools are Osteopathic Schools (MSUCOM and TCOM)!!!

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/med/brief/mdprank_brief.php

Sure, 2 is not much...but there are only 20 DO schools in the United states altogether--so I say not bad!

Hopefully next year, there will be even more! :clap:

What do u mean there are only two DO schools in the US? Aren't there many more?

Status
Not open for further replies.