Do Schools Require New Rec's for Each Cycle??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asdffff

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello world,

I applied this cycle and haven't received much notice from schools. I know it's still early to lose hope but I'm preparing for plan B if I don't get in. I'm prepared to apply to SMP's for the Fall '15 semester, while simultaneously applying to dental school (so I can send them my fall grades).

My question is...
Do schools require new recommendations with each cycle? It makes sense that they do but I'm wondering so I could prepare asking professors. Thing is...I graduated last May and in my gap year, I haven't taken classes but increased my shadowing and retook my DAT instead. With that said, I don't have new professors to ask for updates.

Do I still ask the same professors, explaining to them my situation? Or is it okay to ask doctors in place of new science professors?

Sorry guys..Lots of questions here. But I'd appreciate it so much if you guys can lend your $0.02. Thanks and Happy MLK Day!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it's necessary to get completely new letters, though you might want to reach out to the professors who wrote your letters last semester and have them change the date, at the very least. Are you still physically close to your school? It seems a visit in person is always more effective than an email. If you meet with them, it gives you the opportunity to mention anything recent you've done that they may want to add when they change the date. If you don't choose to use your old letters, school's requirements will still stand (ie, 1 science prof, 1 non science prof, 1 dentist, or whatever they may be).

As long as your application isn't a carbon copy from the previous cycle, I think you're moving in the right direction. Another easy improvement is rewriting your PS. Applying twice takes persistence, so you may be able to fit that into your personal statement somehow. Good luck!

Thanks @free99 for your response. I just remember reading somewhere that schools wanted new ones. Any other people's thoughts??