DO schools that have the most OMM hours per week?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

just_tryingmybest

Reaction score
Title says all. I am applying to DO schools this cycle and interested in which schools have the most and least OMM hours per week.
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

WCUCOM has 1 hour lecture and 2 hour lab each week, ofc excluding time studying for written and CSA's

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
DMU front loads the majority of OMM lecture into the first semester. You could expect 2-3 required lectures per week during the first semester + 90 minute lab once per week.

After first semester -> 1 required lecture + 1 90 minute lab per week through 2nd year.

It’s honestly not bad. I zoomed into the required lectures, put it on mute and did other things/reviewed the material later.

Just started my first semester at ATSU-KCOM and we have a required 4 hours of OMM lab every week. Sometimes the labs are replaced with lectures. It's excessive.

Just started my first semester at ATSU-KCOM and we have a required 4 hours of OMM lab every week. Sometimes the labs are replaced with lectures. It's excessive.
Ya but you’re at the birthplace. Have to expect that lol.

Reactions: 2 users
From when I interviewed - Liberty seemed to put the least emphasis on OMM out of all the schools I interviewed at. I belive it was once a week. WCUCOM was 2 hour OMM Lab a week. ATSU KCOM was 4 hours a week of lab, sometimes more, and some of the OMM professors did not give out good vibes. ARCOM - the first semester was 25 Lecture Hours; 35 Lab Hours. (https://arcom.achehealth.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2024/07/OMSI-Syllabi.pdf) you can usually google and find most syllabi. William Carey allowed females to request female partners and that is something I really wish my school allowed. OMM lab is the most uncomfortable part of my training without a doubt.

Last edited:
From when I interviewed - Liberty seemed to put the least emphasis on OMM out of all the schools I interviewed at. I belive it was once a week. WCUCOM was 2 hour OMM Lab a week. ATSU KCOM was 4 hours a week of lab, sometimes more, and some of the OMM professors did not give out good vibes. ARCOM - the first semester was 25 Lecture Hours; 35 Lab Hours. (https://arcom.achehealth.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2024/07/OMSI-Syllabi.pdf) you can usually google and find most syllabi. William Carey allowed females to request female partners and that is something I really wish my school allowed. OMM lab is the most uncomfortable part of my training without a doubt.
So why do you want to be a DO and learn as little OMM as possible? Thats what makes being a DO different. Secondly, better get used to not being completely "Comfortable" with examining patients of all genders. Lots of uncomfortable situations as a doctor. Allowing yourself to be examined by classmates who are learning will help you learn how you want to examine your patients in the future. Take a breath, it will be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
So why do you want to be a DO and learn as little OMM as possible? Thats what makes being a DO different. Secondly, better get used to not being completely "Comfortable" with examining patients of all genders. Lots of uncomfortable situations as a doctor. Allowing yourself to be examined by classmates who are learning will help you learn how you want to examine your patients in the future. Take a breath, it will be fine.
I don’t want to learn as little Omm as possible - and didn’t state that in my post. I apologize if it came across that way, bc I know omm can get hate sometimes. I enjoy learning OMM and just made a 100 on my first practical, yay :) I am fine examining all genders. However, due to my personal background I feel uncomfortable with some of the procedures being practiced on me by guys. I push through and dont complain bc I don’t want to make them feel bad - but I definitely tense up and I think that makes it harder for them to palpate. I try to relax but my body goes into fight or flight mode and I just freeze. 😭 If I could request a girl for those procedures I would. I understand your point, too - if everyone declined who would we learn from. It’s definitely a tricky subject.

I don’t want to learn as little Omm as possible - and didn’t state that in my post. I apologize if it came across that way, bc I know omm can get hate sometimes. I enjoy learning OMM and just made a 100 on my first practical, yay :) I am fine examining all genders. However, due to my personal background I feel uncomfortable with some of the procedures being practiced on me by guys. I push through and dont complain bc I don’t want to make them feel bad - but I definitely tense up and I think that makes it harder for them to palpate. I try to relax but my body goes into fight or flight mode and I just freeze. 😭 If I could request a girl for those procedures I would. I understand your point, too - if everyone declined who would we learn from. It’s definitely a tricky subject.
Don't hold it inside. Tell the examiner you are nervous and tense. Take a deep cleansing breath, and let it out before the exam. Your body should relax. You'll be fine and your tension should subside over time. Most OMM techniques focus of relaxing tense muscles via muscle physiology so things should get better as you learn more. Plus many feel great! Sub occipital release is one of them. Good luck and best wishes!

Don't hold it inside. Tell the examiner you are nervous and tense. Take a deep cleansing breath, and let it out before the exam. Your body should relax. You'll be fine and your tension should subside over time. Most OMM techniques focus of relaxing tense muscles via muscle physiology so things should get better as you learn more. Plus many feel great! Sub occipital release is one of them. Good luck and best wishes!
Thank you for the advice ❤️