Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Do silicon hyrogels fit looser?

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by lordfkiller, Apr 30, 2007.

1. lordfkiller

Hello.

I have a patient who wants me to prescribe him a silicon hydrogel. The problem is that the only available silicon hydrogel in our country is AirOptix which is unlikely to fit(he wants to buy from overseas). Therefor, I don't have test lenses available for other silicon hydrogels and he has to buy at least 6 months supply.

1- Is it correct that silicon hydrogels fit looser and are flatter? In all cases?
    2- The patient is wearing Soflens38 (DIA 14 BC 9.0) at the moment. Is it possible that Acuvue Advance DIA 14 BC 8.7 will be steep or it will fit well?

Thanks for any suggestion.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. fjpod

Optometrist
    The short answer is no. And IMHO, it would be irresponsible to prescribe a CL that you haven't seen on the patient...but that's just me.

4. odstudent

odstudent Member

what country?

5. lordfkiller

Of course I will make sure it is fitting well as soon as he recieves it. I just want to make sure the risk of the lens not being fit is low. In fact, he is one of my relatives, not a usual patient. Anyway, he wants it himself and he knows that he may have to throw all of them away if they do not fit well.