Do small differences in GPA matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anselmian

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is going to sound ridiculous, but I need to ask because it's driving me insane.

How much of a difference would it make for someone applying with, say, a 3.70 Vs a 3.74 Vs a 3.78?

This is assuming that they have sufficient shadowing, ec's, personal statement etc.. Just taking into account GPA.

With finals coming up for many of us, I'm sure lots of us are wondering how much of a difference a few hundredths of a GPA point make. On the one hand, it's only a few hundredths.. On the other hand, dental school is very competitive.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends. I think anything over a 3.6 and your GPA is good enough for anywhere, so slight variations don't play that much of a role. But the lower your GPA, the more difference it would make.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, they matter. When you have 100+ credits, the difference in A and Bs in multiple classes translates into few hundredths. Be mindful that sGPA and BCP swings more widely due to you having less credits for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
With that gpa range and that DAT score, you'll get interviews. No need to fret.

Are you assuming all 3 applicants went to the same university? Did they take classes similar in strength? Same or different majors?

Assuming the above factors are uniform, I don't think the GPA's would be the deciding factor, unless there are any big red flags (multiple withdrawals, for example).

The deciding factor would probably hinge on how well the applicant fit the school. Do they fit the school's mission statement? If it's an in-state school, does the applicant show a desire to stay in the state? Does the evidence on the applicant's application substantiate what they claim in their personal statement/interview? Does the applicant help enhance the school's demographic/racial/socio-economic diversity? Does the student show interest in the school and mission statement during the school tour/interview?

Academics and (in the same vein) test scores are just one component schools look at, and a few hundreths of a GPA isn't likely to sway the ADCOMS one way or another.

I'm just stressing over finals to he honest. I'm obviously going to try my absolute hardest, but I can't help but think about what would happen if I got the lower end of my potential grades Vs the higher end this semester.

I appreciate the responses guys!!

I'm just stressing over finals to he honest. I'm obviously going to try my absolute hardest, but I can't help but think about what would happen if I got the lower end of my potential grades Vs the higher end this semester.

I appreciate the responses guys!!

IMO, those differences are nearly negligible, your GPA is solid regardless.

I mean Gosh! any deviation from 4.0 is going to hurt your pride (^^ I know a few people who worship their GPA, i mean even I worship their GPA) but it won't kill your chance at getting an interview. :)

Reactions: 1 user