DO Student looking to go into Rads, but not sure what it all entails for me!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pagesiderageside

Reaction score
Hello all.

This is my first time posting on this whole forum, so I just want to say I'm glad to be here! I wanted to gain some insight on what it means for me as a DO student to apply into DR and/or IR and what I should do moving forward to maximize my chances.

For starters, I go to a relatively new DO school. It has churned out an occasional top-tier academic match with some years showing even greater promise than others. So if I had to guess, we are probably fairly "low on the totem pole" in terms of ranking, though some rise through the ranks and persevere.

With that being said, I want advice for what I should do to stand out from the crowd. I'm in my M3 year currently on outpatient IM (super chill). For reference, I got a 265 on Step 1 and a 740 on Comlex. I know that these are both very competitive scores in general and that I shouldn't worry/ be thankful (which I am SO thankful). However, I know that the DO bias exists across all specialties and programs. I also have not been able to do research because of life circumstances--one of my parents passed away before the start of M2 and they had been sick for a while, so I spent a sizable amount of time going home to help out where I could (the pangs of being an only child). I don't think there are a lot of research options afforded to me at this point anyway... so I'm kinda working with what I got! With that being said, what do you think I should do to match into a competitive academic program for DR or IR? Is IR going to be a reach for me in general as a DO student? Any advice is tremendously appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You are in a good spot. As a DO, the main thing that makes you stand out is your Step score. Our class rank, LORs, etc, just don't mean as much because allopathic PDs do not know how to use those metrics (they are not comparable to MD schools). That being said, research would be good but don't kill yourself over it. It's something easy to talk about during interviews, but that is about it. It has no effect on whether you will work on research as a resident, etc. The top tier academic programs that want a ton of research won't care because they likely will not interview you as a DO anyway, so screw them. Just be honest and say you couldn't do research because of family issues.

The most important things for you to do right now is to obtain good clinical grades and get strong LORs. Again, the LORs won't be super helpful but they shouldn't be bad. If you can somehow get a LOR writer that has a connection to the program, that would be great. Since hardly any DO schools have their own department (sure as hell don't have their own radiology department), you can try doing a rotation at a nearby academic center that is used to taking students, and then try and get a LOR from an important radiologist there. They are unlikely to go to bat for you when the time comes, since they have their own students to support, but at least you can try and get a LOR.

Next would be to do equally well on Step 2. Usually when you do that well on Step 1, you don't take Step 2 until after interviews but before rank lists are due. I don't know if this advice still holds true so maybe someone else can chime in. You want to avoid dropping on Step 2 significantly as it can hurt your chances for interviews.

Finally, I would apply broadly. Your 265 puts you in a great position to match well, but bias is bias. Apply to programs you want to go to, and have an even split between reach, reasonable, and safeties. Be likable on interviews. Follow up when appropriate. Reach out to programs if you genuinely want an interview. You will be alright.

Hello all.

This is my first time posting on this whole forum, so I just want to say I'm glad to be here! I wanted to gain some insight on what it means for me as a DO student to apply into DR and/or IR and what I should do moving forward to maximize my chances.

For starters, I go to a relatively new DO school. It has churned out an occasional top-tier academic match with some years showing even greater promise than others. So if I had to guess, we are probably fairly "low on the totem pole" in terms of ranking, though some rise through the ranks and persevere.

With that being said, I want advice for what I should do to stand out from the crowd. I'm in my M3 year currently on outpatient IM (super chill). For reference, I got a 265 on Step 1 and a 740 on Comlex. I know that these are both very competitive scores in general and that I shouldn't worry/ be thankful (which I am SO thankful). However, I know that the DO bias exists across all specialties and programs. I also have not been able to do research because of life circumstances--one of my parents passed away before the start of M2 and they had been sick for a while, so I spent a sizable amount of time going home to help out where I could (the pangs of being an only child). I don't think there are a lot of research options afforded to me at this point anyway... so I'm kinda working with what I got! With that being said, what do you think I should do to match into a competitive academic program for DR or IR? Is IR going to be a reach for me in general as a DO student? Any advice is tremendously appreciated! Thank you in advance!
You will be able to match to extremely competitive programs. Bias is minimal, I did read the above post. But I can tell you one thing for sure baring your weird at interviews or have red flags you land a great spot.

You will be able to match to extremely competitive programs. Bias is minimal, I did read the above post. But I can tell you one thing for sure baring your weird at interviews or have red flags you land a great spot.

That isn't totally accurate. Most of the top programs(top 10-15) for both DR and IR are quite biased. And without solid research, your chances are pretty much zero. However, there are a ton of solid DR programs that take DOs that you will have a good chance at. Just make sure to do well in your clerkships and step 2. Also, if possible, jump on a research project or a case report or something.

IR-DR match is more competitive, so your chances of matching at a top IR program are further limited; however, you definitely have a strong shot of matching somewhere for IR with your scores. There's a google doc for last years IR and DR applicants which may have some good information.

Anyways, goodluck!