Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Looking at East Coast programs that have taken DOs in the past (e.g. VCU, EVMS, GW, Inova, Georgetown and not programs such as UVA, Duke, UNC, etc).
I have a very good IM shelf exam (98.9th %tile), COMLEX Level 2 is 66* (82-86th %tile), 4 LOR (2 from APD, 1 from a hospitalist medical director, 1 from a hospitalist), Honored all but one rotation in 3rd year with great comments.
I passed Step 1 but did not take Step 2 because I was advised that "I did not need it to match into low/mid-teir programs for IM".
Cut me some slack on not taking Step 2 (or don't, it's my fault for not doing my own research). I'm a first gen college grad and grad student, so I took that advice as a fact rather than my faculty advisor's opinion/suggestion. Figuring this process out for myself has not been an easy one. Looking back, maybe I should have taken it and I likely would have scored well, but here we are.
Appreciate your insight. Thank you.
I have a very good IM shelf exam (98.9th %tile), COMLEX Level 2 is 66* (82-86th %tile), 4 LOR (2 from APD, 1 from a hospitalist medical director, 1 from a hospitalist), Honored all but one rotation in 3rd year with great comments.
I passed Step 1 but did not take Step 2 because I was advised that "I did not need it to match into low/mid-teir programs for IM".
Cut me some slack on not taking Step 2 (or don't, it's my fault for not doing my own research). I'm a first gen college grad and grad student, so I took that advice as a fact rather than my faculty advisor's opinion/suggestion. Figuring this process out for myself has not been an easy one. Looking back, maybe I should have taken it and I likely would have scored well, but here we are.
- Top quartile of my class and in SSP
- Leadership: captain in university athletics, lead scribe for 2.5 yrs, JV coach.
- EC average volunteering, nothing special.
- No Research
- Impactful event in my mother passing in my first year of med school/first gen college grad.
Appreciate your insight. Thank you.
Last edited: