DO Sub I planning and Insight for General Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EDThoracotomy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting to think about Sub Is and how many/where to do them. I am under the impression that for GS aways are NOT the standard for MD students and aside from a home surgery rotation they generally are not done. However, my understanding is the DO students do and should do as many Sub Is as possible. Is this accurate?

My surgery rotation will not be at an academic institution as one is not available. At this point I am looking to do Sub Is at 1) Programs I am very interested in 2) A reach program (likely mid tier MD) and 3)A regional or community program. Does anyone have any insight as to where and how many GS Sub Is to do? At this point Id like to try and get 4-5 GS Sub Is. I am working on tailoring my application purely to GS. Any insight or thoughts would be fantastic. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

4-5 is good. You can do less or more depending on how competitive your application is

At this point my thoughts is 1-2 MD programs that I Really want and then 2-3 former AOA or community programs. Hoping to get some solid letters and then apply hyper broadly.

How do you see competitiveness evolving with Step 1 P/F?

Members don't see this ad :)
At this point my thoughts is 1-2 MD programs that I Really want and then 2-3 former AOA or community programs. Hoping to get some solid letters and then apply hyper broadly.

How do you see competitiveness evolving with Step 1 P/F?
Emphasis will just go to Step 2.

Is it kosher to do a sub I after you submit ERAS? Seems like it’s be hard to fit 5+ sub Is.

Is it kosher to do a sub I after you submit ERAS? Seems like it’s be hard to fit 5+ sub Is.
Yes. People rotate into November and December. You just won’t get a letter from that rotation

Reactions: 1 user