Do surgeons diagnose patients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kei22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Might be a stupid question but when do surgeons diagnose patients? Is it usually a physician diagnoses a patient and if it's surgical consult a surgeon and they confirm the diagnoses. Do they ever make the initial diagnosis.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Though frequency and level of diagnostic workup completed or directed by a surgeon will vary by subspecialty, practice setting, referral patterns, etc.

Yes, Maybe stop watching tv shows and get some experience in the real world.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Might be a stupid question but when do surgeons diagnose patients? Is it usually a physician diagnoses a patient and if it's surgical consult a surgeon and they confirm the diagnoses. Do they ever make the initial diagnosis.

Surgeons are physicians.

Reactions: 2 users
Me surgeon make cut on person, FP/IM resident tell me where

Reactions: 15 users

It depends on the surgical specialty. Most surgical specialties make diagnoses all the time, but some surgical specialties tend to make fewer diagnoses. Cardiac surgery tends to get patients who already have a diagnosis, imaging and workup.

The ED asks me to do it all the time.

"Hey, we have this patient with abdominal pain. We ordered a CT scan but it's going to be awhile before they get it done. Was wondering if you could come lay hands on the patient?" Or sometimes its "Just wanted you to give you first crack at it and have you check him/her out."

"Ok what do you think is going on?"

"Um, I actually haven't seen the patient. I just got it signed out to me that he's having abdominal pain."

Reactions: 9 users

"Hey, we have this patient with abdominal pain. We ordered a CT scan but it's going to be awhile before they get it done. Was wondering if you could come lay hands on the patient?" Or sometimes its "Just wanted you to give you first crack at it and have you check him/her out."

"Um, I actually haven't seen the patient. I just got it signed out to me that he's having abdominal pain."

Do we work in the same hospital? Because it sounds like we work in the same hospital. Please tell me we work in the same hospital so I know that not every other ED is just as lazy and incompetent.

Reactions: 1 users

I've found it can take a few questions to get them to admit they haven't actually seen the patient yet. For us, especially when there may be airway involvement, talking to someone who has actually seen the human being in question is essential and the EMR gives people enough info that sometimes they can BS their way around it. So what I've started doing is this:

"Hey, I think I know this patient. Does he/she have long red hair?"

"..."

Guaranteed not to be in the EMR and usually elicits a prompt confession that nobody has seen them since the CT was ordered a few hours ago.

Reactions: 4 users
All physicians diagnose patients. Surgeons diagnose patients correctly. :)

Reactions: 5 users