-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Do surgeons diagnose patients
Started by Kei22
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Yes. Though frequency and level of diagnostic workup completed or directed by a surgeon will vary by subspecialty, practice setting, referral patterns, etc.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Might be a stupid question but when do surgeons diagnose patients? Is it usually a physician diagnoses a patient and if it's surgical consult a surgeon and they confirm the diagnoses. Do they ever make the initial diagnosis.
Surgeons are physicians.
Me surgeon make cut on person, FP/IM resident tell me where
Me surgeon make cut on person, FP/IM resident tell me where
You have a fracture?
You have a fracture?
ED: There is an aneurysm
Me: Where is it?
ED: In room 12
Me: * Stares at camera and realizes why I'm not allowed to bring an axe into work *
Might be a stupid question but when do surgeons diagnose patients? Is it usually a physician diagnoses a patient and if it's surgical consult a surgeon and they confirm the diagnoses. Do they ever make the initial diagnosis.
It depends on the surgical specialty. Most surgical specialties make diagnoses all the time, but some surgical specialties tend to make fewer diagnoses. Cardiac surgery tends to get patients who already have a diagnosis, imaging and workup.
The ED asks me to do it all the time.
"Hey, we have this patient with abdominal pain. We ordered a CT scan but it's going to be awhile before they get it done. Was wondering if you could come lay hands on the patient?" Or sometimes its "Just wanted you to give you first crack at it and have you check him/her out."
"Ok what do you think is going on?"
"Um, I actually haven't seen the patient. I just got it signed out to me that he's having abdominal pain."
"Hey, we have this patient with abdominal pain. We ordered a CT scan but it's going to be awhile before they get it done. Was wondering if you could come lay hands on the patient?" Or sometimes its "Just wanted you to give you first crack at it and have you check him/her out."
"Ok what do you think is going on?"
"Um, I actually haven't seen the patient. I just got it signed out to me that he's having abdominal pain."
The ED asks me to do it all the time.
"Hey, we have this patient with abdominal pain. We ordered a CT scan but it's going to be awhile before they get it done. Was wondering if you could come lay hands on the patient?" Or sometimes its "Just wanted you to give you first crack at it and have you check him/her out."
"Ok what do you think is going on?"
"Um, I actually haven't seen the patient. I just got it signed out to me that he's having abdominal pain."
Do we work in the same hospital? Because it sounds like we work in the same hospital. Please tell me we work in the same hospital so I know that not every other ED is just as lazy and incompetent.
The ED asks me to do it all the time.
"Hey, we have this patient with abdominal pain. We ordered a CT scan but it's going to be awhile before they get it done. Was wondering if you could come lay hands on the patient?" Or sometimes its "Just wanted you to give you first crack at it and have you check him/her out."
"Ok what do you think is going on?"
"Um, I actually haven't seen the patient. I just got it signed out to me that he's having abdominal pain."
I've found it can take a few questions to get them to admit they haven't actually seen the patient yet. For us, especially when there may be airway involvement, talking to someone who has actually seen the human being in question is essential and the EMR gives people enough info that sometimes they can BS their way around it. So what I've started doing is this:
"Hey, I think I know this patient. Does he/she have long red hair?"
"..."
Guaranteed not to be in the EMR and usually elicits a prompt confession that nobody has seen them since the CT was ordered a few hours ago.
All physicians diagnose patients. Surgeons diagnose patients correctly. 🙂
The oral boards I take tomorrow definitely wants me to diagnose something
Ay-sis-TOLL-ee
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad