Do the clinical hours spent in nursing school count as clinical hours for your med school application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

la flame

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to my BSN school, we spent over 1000 hours at a clinical setting to graduate. Can I add those hours to my "clinical" experience on my application or only the hours I actually worked as an RN?

Haven't really seen anything on the web about this. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

What were you doing?

my first 2 semesters, I was doing basic stuff like doing simple head to toe assessments, giving PO meds, and some charting. By the end of my last semester of nursing school, I was taking 4-5 patients by myself giving meds through all routes (IV, PO, G-tube), head to toe assessments, giving report to other nurses, making referrels, charting everything, talking to docs during rounds, basically anything a new-grad RN would be doing.

Members don't see this ad :)
That’s definitely clinical experience

Reactions: 1 user
That’s definitely clinical experience

good to know. thank you. the only reason I was asking was because a fellow friend of mine who is also an RN found out when he applied to PA school, his hours for nursing school didn't count because PA schools don't accept clinical hours if you get them for a school activity (nursing school, EMT school, etc.).

They count. I didn't factor them in when I applied though. I used my full time RN hours as clinical time.

They count. I didn't factor them in when I applied though. I used my full time RN hours as clinical time.

I recently graduated and I'm going back to school full time at the moment to finish them faster. Because of that, I'm only working one 12-hour shift a week and probably not gonna work at all next fall when I plan to study for the MCAT in January 2021. So, 1000 hours is pretty huge to add to my application since I haven't been a nurse for that long or worked.

I recently graduated and I'm going back to school full time at the moment to finish them faster. Because of that, I'm only working one 12-hour shift a week and probably not gonna work at all next fall when I plan to study for the MCAT in January 2021. So, 1000 hours is pretty huge to add to my application since I haven't been a nurse for that long or worked.

really any amount of clinical work experience is good because if you work for 250 hours you already have more clinical experience than the vast majority of traditional applicants

Reactions: 1 users
According to my BSN school, we spent over 1000 hours at a clinical setting to graduate. Can I add those hours to my "clinical" experience on my application or only the hours I actually worked as an RN?

Haven't really seen anything on the web about this. Thank you.

Any nurse of any decent time length is going to be more than okay checking off the clinical experience box. The point is just to make sure you have experience working with patients, and RN/BSNs are not lacking one bit in that department.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors