Do The DAT's or MCAT's first?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Habbas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there guys, i was wondering about which test id try for first, i want to give the mcat a shot, and then i can even use that score to apply for pod school, but im wondering which to write first? this coming summer im going to write one, and then ill write the other next summer (ie and the end on my year 3)
advice?

Members don't see this ad.

choose a profession, don't let a test choose for you.

I hear a lot of students talk about "writing the test." How is that different from "taking the test"? Just curious

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear a lot of students talk about "writing the test." How is that different from "taking the test"? Just curious

I noticed it recently. One of my friends in Canada is keep asking when I am writing DAT. I guess writing = taking. IDK...english is not my 1st language :D

Maybe this is for people who take the MCAT's and DAT's

The researchers in the lab asked "when I was writing the DAT".

But honestly, choose a profession first. I'm not sure how many professors would want to write letters of recommendation for both. Shadow some doctors in those professions and that will save you some cash.

I think a lot of foreigners tend to say they "write" tests... I know my dad says it that way. Anyway, I agree with not letting the test decide for you. Go do some shadowing of both to figure it out.

We write the DAT in Canada because it's on paper. I've never said 'take' for a written test it's always write.

"write" or "take" just nail it down!

Take the PCAT, LSAT, and GRE while you're at it.

j/k... I think you should take both, one after the other. You're already studying for the basic sciences, why do it twice? I'd say take both, within a couple weeks of each other (If you take the DAT first, you can spend the two weeks on MCAT physics).

^ I have heard many dental school don't like to see taking both MCAT and DAT. I know for sure this is the case for one Texas schools.( I myself heard from admission).

I noticed it recently. One of my friends in Canada is keep asking when I am writing DAT. I guess writing = taking. IDK...english is not my 1st language :D

hey..that's interesting you said your friend is from Canada...because i worked near a guy this summer that would ask me when i was "writing" the DAT and he was from Canada. lol :)

^ I have heard many dental school don't like to see taking both MCAT and DAT. I know for sure this is the case for one Texas schools.( I myself heard from admission).

How would they even know that you took the MCAT as well though? Just curious.

You list it on your app I believe.

You don't have to report that you took the MCAT. Many supplemental apps ask if you APPLIED to any other professional school before. If you take the MCAT but don't actually apply, then you don't have a problem.

You don't have to report that you took the MCAT. Many supplemental apps ask if you APPLIED to any other professional school before. If you take the MCAT but don't actually apply, then you don't have a problem.

Ah, alright time to study for the MCAT :D

As president of a pre-dental club.. I have talked to many people from admissions....here in cali if they see that you applied to both dental and medice..u wont get into eathir

decide what yuo want to do and put all ur heart into it

i think many asians say "writing" too... cuz translated word-for-word from their phrase use its "writing the test"

i think many asians say "writing" too... cuz translated word-for-word from their phrase use its "writing the test"

i think its mainly canadian? ive never heard an asian person use that.