Do they know they're safety schools or Albany, what a gip

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
silas2642 said:
That's bs; there are plenty of applicants who are quantitatively extremely qualified who do not get into medical school. It happens. It's amazing how arrogant we pre-meds can be; there was a girl in my class last week who was telling me that she was "so much better than the other applicants at the interview" and that she was almost sure she was going to get in; there are NO guarantees during this process, and like several adcom members have told me, it's not all about the numbers. GPA and mcat will get you looked at, but they do nothing to keep the door from hitting your ass on the way out.
I don't think it's arrogance - I think it's being realistic. If you've been very accomplished during your undergrad, and you have a friendly personality, you'll probably get into med school. I know it's not all about the numbers, which is why you do things to make sure you've got more than just numbers. There is always a Wiggy floating around out there, but the majority of candidates who don't get in are probably well aware of why that is - low grades, low MCAT, late applications, lacking EC's, a bad LOR, a lackluster interview, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Poor Wiggy; she will always be our example of the fantastic applicant who almost didn't get in. She is a legend in this forum

silas2642 said:
Poor Wiggy; she will always be our example of the fantastic applicant who almost didn't get in. She is a legend in this forum

please fill us in on this 'wiggy'

Members don't see this ad :)
silas2642 said:
Well, she IS attending Vanderbilt now, so all is not lost, and she might've gotten off WashU's waitlist, which ain't shabby either. Still, she will be a poster child for quite a while.

Brett - I'm not too impressed. A 13VR? That's pretty weak. :p

Maybe she was bereft of personality? Who knows, I'm just a newbie here.

anon-y-mouse said:
Maybe she was bereft of personality? Who knows, I'm just a newbie here.

she graduated the same time i did... that day was soooo godam hot (humidity AND temp in the nineties)... everyone was hungover, tired, and wearing those damn black gowns.... should've paid attention to who was awarded the founders medal i guess... thats a really big honor; wonder if it helped her get in (not that she needed any help with those #'s). Our premed advisor is kind of a jackass (read: he just sits and nods and tells you to make your own decisions--- NO advice) , so i'd bet he gave her some bad advice (ie- don't worry about applying to back-ups, you'll be fine)... still, she should have applied to her state school... doesn't matter much now though, i guess.