Do they remember last year's interviews? Do they look at the file?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachmoninov3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so I totally bombed last year's interview at UNM. Do most schools look at old files prior to the new interview? Will they look at me and say: 'well this year she's quieter and perceptive, but last year she was an outright know it all nurse, so she's proabably still the same nurse who will not be open to learning and possible cause a malpractice lawsuit.' ?

I figure I have a much better chance this year unless they remember how horrible I was from last year. Has anyone encountered that with a school?

Members don't see this ad.

rachmoninov3 said:
OK, so I totally bombed last year's interview at UNM. Do most schools look at old files prior to the new interview? Will they look at me and say: 'well this year she's quieter and perceptive, but last year she was an outright know it all nurse, so she's proabably still the same nurse who will not be open to learning and possible cause a malpractice lawsuit.' ?

I figure I have a much better chance this year unless they remember how horrible I was from last year. Has anyone encountered that with a school?
The reapplicants that I know were not asked that during interviews unless they brought it up in their essays or the interview itself. If you improved your credentials, they will see it and keep it under consideration.

I have only re-interviewed at one place, so my experience is probably unique. At this place, interviewers will summarize their gut feelings/response/estimation of the candidate in notes that are presented to the entire ADCOM when they re-convene after interviews are finished for the day. These notes are later compiled, regardless of outsome, in the applicant's file. After I was rejected post-interview from this place, I spoke with the dean of admissions. He had the notes review there and told me what I had done 'wrong.' He also told me that everything the school had about an applicant will be made available to the interviewers to review before they meet you.

Shorter answer? Your next interviewer might see it. They might ask you about it ("Why didn't you get in?") and ask a follow-up ("What are you doing differently this time?"), but since you'll have gone through the interview once already, you'll be prepared.

I'm sure that, like everything else, it depends on the school.

I know that at UConn, if you get another interview in subsequent years, they make sure you are paired with different interviewers - that way if your interview problems were due to not "meshing" with the interviewer, you have another chance.