Looking for advice for possible reapplication (DO)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed0516

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a non traditional male from CA, ORM, first gen. (3.17cGPA/3.01 sGPA, 510 MCAT).

This was my first cycle and I applied late around end of August through September to 30+ DO schools due to MCAT cancellations. I am grateful to have received 3 interview invites, but unfortunately I have not heard from the first interview which was in October and the other two have resulted in a waitlist. I have still not heard from 18 schools regarding any decision on my application. I am looking for advice for a reapplication, and feedback on my current plan.

I plan on taking 19 semester units in the spring finishing Physics 1&2, Orgo 2, and microbiology at the local CC. this will raise my cgpa and sga to (3.25/3.2) if I get a 4.0. I also plan on taking 14 additional semester units in the summer and if I do well again I can raise my GPA to (3.3/3.3). My PostBac GPA will be 4.0 after these two semesters.I also plan on applying on day one to around 25+ DO schools this time around and pre write my secondaries. I am considering a possible formal post bacc with guaranteed admission that starts in the fall as well as SMP's with guaranteed interviews while I am applying. Any advice or feedback on this plan would be appreciated. @Goro @gyngyn @Faha

- 60 hours shadowing DO
- 400 hours ER medical scribe
- 150 hours hospice volunteer
- 50 hours patient transport volunteer
- started a college application mentor program at local High school
- 50 hours helping run a forum for Alzheimers awareness
- DO rec letter
- 150 hours Youth Soccer coach
- 8000 hours throughout college paid sales job in non health related job

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The interview season for DO schools extends through April so you should receive more interviews. I would be surprised if you did not receive an acceptance from one of those 3 schools.
Thank you so much for your input! I will continue to hold out hope to be pulled from the waitlist at one of these schools! Much appreciated!

Hello,

I am a non traditional male from CA, ORM, first gen. (3.17cGPA/3.01 sGPA, 510 MCAT).

This was my first cycle and I applied late around end of August through September to 30+ DO schools due to MCAT cancellations. I am grateful to have received 3 interview invites, but unfortunately I have not heard from the first interview which was in October and the other two have resulted in a waitlist. I have still not heard from 18 schools regarding any decision on my application. I am looking for advice for a reapplication, and feedback on my current plan.

I plan on taking 19 semester units in the spring finishing Physics 1&2, Orgo 2, and microbiology at the local CC. this will raise my cgpa and sga to (3.25/3.2) if I get a 4.0. I also plan on taking 14 additional semester units in the summer and if I do well again I can raise my GPA to (3.3/3.3). My PostBac GPA will be 4.0 after these two semesters.I also plan on applying on day one to around 25+ DO schools this time around and pre write my secondaries. I am considering a possible formal post bacc with guaranteed admission that starts in the fall as well as SMP's with guaranteed interviews while I am applying. Any advice or feedback on this plan would be appreciated. @Goro @gyngyn @Faha

- 60 hours shadowing DO
- 400 hours ER medical scribe
- 150 hours hospice volunteer
- 50 hours patient transport volunteer
- started a college application mentor program at local High school
- 50 hours helping run a forum for Alzheimers awareness
- DO rec letter
- 150 hours Youth Soccer coach
- 8000 hours throughout college paid sales job in non health related job
I know it’s been a week but I was hoping for
Some advice on this plan from @Goro. If you find the time please let me know your thoughts on this unsuccessful cycle and what I can do to improve next cycle. Thank you!

You will get in somewhere if you apply the first day AACOMAS opens. I think you have a good plan for Spring and schools like to see persistence.

Reactions: 1 user
Apply as soon as the application opens, and tailor your secondaries to the individual school. Your stats are fine, you needs to be creative in making your application stand. Why are you unique, what do you bring to medicine? But the tricky part is, doing it in a way that doesn't sound arrogant.

Reactions: 1 user
Apply as soon as the application opens, and tailor your secondaries to the individual school. Your stats are fine, you needs to be creative in making your application stand. Why are you unique, what do you bring to medicine? But the tricky part is, doing it in a way that doesn't sound arrogant.
Thank you so much for your input!

any updates for ya? I will be applying soon w/ hopefully similar stats haha fml