10+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I remember seeing this a year or so ago. It's got scam written all over it.

VAhopeful

10+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2008
Status
I hate to say this (and no, I'm no DO hater, although I'll probaly be banned for stating the obvious), but isn't DO to MD the dream of most DOs, whether they admit it publicly or not?

About the Ads

TexasTriathlete

HTFU
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2007
The ATL
www.myspace.com
Status
Medical Student
I hate to say this (and no, I'm no DO hater, although I'll probaly be banned for stating the obvious), but isn't DO to MD the dream of most DOs, whether they admit it publicly or not?
You've got to be ****ting me. Nobody cares about this **** except for idiot pre-meds, particularly the ones on this site.

DO's and MD's work together, and its like there is no difference. DO's teach MD students and residents, and vice-versa, at my hospital, which is the nation's busiest level II trauma center.

Much more important than if you're an MD or a DO is whether or not the nurses like you.

thesauce

10+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
You've got to be ****ting me. Nobody cares about this **** except for idiot pre-meds, particularly the ones on this site.
From my experience, that's not really true. I have seen many DO's (certainly not all) carrying a chip on their shoulders about being DO's. It's always brought up whenever I've worked with them on the floors in medical school. Funny thing is, it often motivates them to be the hardest working students and physicians in the hospital.

Still, the feeling is by no means exclusive to DO's. I know of a woman from Columbia med and a guy from Yale med that seem to be just as preoccupied with not going to Harvard med. And I'm sure Harvard med people have issues too. It never really ends.

But in regards to the OPs post, this has to be a scam.

First off, there are several typos on the front page and no self-respecting program would allow this. Also, "MD" is not synonymous with "doctor" throughout the world. There are FAR more MBBS's than MD's out there.

Still, they probably do allow you to get the MD degree, but not from an LCME institution, obviously.

VAhopeful

10+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2008
Status

DO's and MD's work together, and its like there is no difference. DO's teach MD students and residents, and vice-versa, at my hospital, which is the nation's busiest level II trauma center.
I know there's no difference between MDs and DOs for all practical intents and purposes. But there's far more DOs who wish the letters after their names were MD than there are MDs who wish they were DOs.

Try not to muddy the thread. We all know that DOs are doctors and MDs are doctors and they're all as capable as each other. Nobody's disputing that. It's just that for some medical students, DO is a backup when they can't go MD. Hence there's some DOs who are a touch bitter that they aren't proper MDs.

DragonWell

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
This program is the real deal. Your MD is shipped straight from Zlatko SOM. If you order now, they'll also throw in a special key that works for all those "MD only" restrooms we've all seen at the hospitals and wished we could use. :rolleyes:

TexasTriathlete

HTFU
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2007
The ATL
www.myspace.com
Status
Medical Student
What you said is that most DO's wish they were MD's. More specifically, that it is the dream of most DO's. What I'm saying is that most DO's are perfectly happy being DO's.

Yes, putting MD after their name might clear up some confusion among people who don't know what a DO is, but to say that its "the dream of most DO's", meaning that they sit around thinking about how much better their lives would be if they were MD's, is nonsense.

How would it be that much better for DO's if they were MD's? DO's make the same money for doing the same ****.

J1515

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2004
Status
Unfortunately you are partially correct, although I wouldn't say 'most' DOs. Take a look at the "DO-Degree change" thread. 2,274 views and only 250 people voted they wish they could have the MD initials after their name. It's mostly a bunch of pre-meds and first year students who couldn't get into an allopathic school and are more concerned with others' perception of them rather than saving lives.

If you are talking about licensed DO practicing physicians, then you are incorrect. The majority don't even think about the initials anymore.

BCon902

PCOM c/o 2011
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2006
Pittsburgh
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Plenty of DO students turned down allopathic schools, so VA don't be silly. Allopaths are just mad they can't diagnose somatic dysfunction.

Instatewaiter

But... there's a troponin
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Washington
Status
Attending Physician
Straight from the website

"Do you want to practice in Spain? Italy? Do you want to do mission work in Katmandu? You will need a M.D. degree. Do you want to place an ad in the yellow pages under ‘Medical Doctors' where prospective patients look to find physicians? Do you want to author a book as a M.D.? If you have answered ‘Yes' to any of these questions, then the "DO to MD" program is for you. ... but wait for those who call in the next ten minutes you will get this set of steak knives a 79 dollar value! And If you act now we will double your order. Thats right, for the low low price of 3 easy payments of 99.99 you will get 2 MD degrees!"

Jamers

Sexy Man
10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
North Carolina
Status
Attending Physician
You would get attacked for that statement not because of its accuracy but because you make a broad sweeping generalization. By doing this, you lose all credibility and pretty much make yourself out to appear uneducated. Now, if you had said, "many of the DO's I am acquainted with wish to change degrees..." this would be acceptable. Phrase your statements correctly in the future if you do not wish to be flamed. By the way, I am, apparently, one of the "minority" who do not wish to change their degree.

About the Ads

Jamers

Sexy Man
10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
North Carolina
Status
Attending Physician
Unfortunately you are partially correct, although I wouldn't say 'most' DOs. Take a look at the "DO-Degree change" thread. 2,274 views and only 250 people voted they wish they could have the MD initials after their name. It's mostly a bunch of pre-meds and first year students who couldn't get into an allopathic school and are more concerned with others' perception of them rather than saving lives.

If you are talking about licensed DO practicing physicians, then you are incorrect. The majority don't even think about the initials anymore.
I highly doubt that the number of views correlates to a belief... I may look at a page and follow its progress without actually commenting on it. Does that mean I believe what is written there? Maybe but, most likely, I am just amused by the content. Any thread with MD and Do in the subject line generally leads to an amusing conversation; it is nothing like watching pre-meds arguing over the state of the degree.

10+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I know there's no difference between MDs and DOs for all practical intents and purposes. But there's far more DOs who wish the letters after their names were MD than there are MDs who wish they were DOs.

Try not to muddy the thread. We all know that DOs are doctors and MDs are doctors and they're all as capable as each other. Nobody's disputing that. It's just that for some medical students, DO is a backup when they can't go MD. Hence there's some DOs who are a touch bitter that they aren't proper MDs.
You are saying two different things here. Nobody disputes that there are probably some DO's out there who wish they could be MD's. But to say "to be an MD is the dream of most DO's" is unfounded generalism. Typical SDN behavior from the uninformed.

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Duh of course it's the dream. All osteopaths want to be real doctors ... it's what they think about while going to town in the shower in the morning. I'm an MD ... oh that's right baby, MD. The system is real. It's awesome.

VAhopeful

10+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2008
Status
You are saying two different things here. Nobody disputes that there are probably some DO's out there who wish they could be MD's. But to say "to be an MD is the dream of most DO's" is unfounded generalism. Typical SDN behavior from the uninformed.
Unfortunately, there's no way you can prove I'm wrong! (Similarly, there's no way I can prove you right).

The DO lobby is such that from the moment an applicant even considers applying to a DO school, there's an unwritten rule that he or she may never utter the words "yeah, but I really wanted to be an MD" ever again. I personally think that there's a larger number of DOs who won't admit - even anonymously - that would prefer the initials MD after their name, but don't dare make this view public for fear of being jumped on by the DO profession. As this thread and many others on this site and across the internet demonstrate, the DO profession has a significant "enforcer" or "attack dog" population, who make it their sole purpose in life to defend (or boost) the reputation of their degrees.

(I want to say that the reputation defending is similar in nature to that of Scientologists, but I daren't because now all the DOs will think that I'm comparing osteopathic medicine to scientology. I'm not - osteopathic medicine is the same as allopathic medicine for the large part. I'm simply comparing the ferocity with which both organizations defend their reputations.)

I think we all agree that there's a signficant portion of DOs who really wanted to be MDs. 10%? 25%? 5%? Who cares. It's a significant amount. It's not 50% and it's not 0.0001%. I personally think it's a larger number than anyone here dares admit, although secretly there's more people here who agree with me.

To be very clear - I'm only making a point about the letters MD and DO. I'm stating nothing whatsoever about the quality of medical care each profession can provide.

OP
W

WestcoastMedicine

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2004
New York
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Why don't you use the "similar posts" feature on SDN before posting this? Expect to see this one get closed.
I didn't mean for this to turn into a DO vs MD thread, I suppose naively. I am fully aware of people's feelings on the issue of do Osteopathic Physicians want to be MDs, do MDs resent not having the same manual medicine ability. Its the same old premed crap that no one cares about once they get into the field of medicine.

Anyhow, I was just surprised that an email update from the AOA included this link.

scpod

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
...Anyhow, I was just surprised that an email update from the AOA included this link.
Why? Did you read what the email said about it?

Be Wary of "DO to MD" Programs

The AOA has recently learned of a program that offers an abbreviated pathway to the degree “Doctor of Medicine” for those individuals who hold a DO degree (see the Web site). Except for the information provided on the Web site, the AOA has no other knowledge of this program. We strongly disagree with the central premise, i.e. that a DO degree received from a COCA-accredited college of osteopathic medicine is less desirable than an MD degree. It must also be stated that we are not able to determine at this time if the individuals receiving an “MD” degree from this program would be eligible to enter into the US licensure pathways for physicians having the MD degree.
They're not recommending it. It's just a part of the daily news update.

TexasTriathlete

HTFU
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2007
The ATL
www.myspace.com
Status
Medical Student
As a future DO, I'm going to admit that my dream is not actually to be an MD. Even though I am 30 years old, it is still my dream to either play professional sports or to be a Jedi. Really, just to be a jedi, because if I was a jedi, professional sports would be easy. I'd play every sport, and kick *** at all of them. And I could still be a DO too.

About the Ads

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Straight from the website

"Do you want to practice in Spain? Italy? Do you want to do mission work in Katmandu? You will need a M.D. degree. Do you want to place an ad in the yellow pages under ‘Medical Doctors’ where prospective patients look to find physicians? Do you want to author a book as a M.D.? If you have answered ‘Yes’ to any of these questions, then the “DO to MD” program is for you. ... but wait for those who call in the next ten minutes you will get this set of steak knives a 79 dollar value! And If you act now we will double your order. Thats right, for the low low price of 3 easy payments of 99.99 you will get 2 MD degrees!"
HAHAHAHAH .... hilarious/too true.

And Tex ... I think we all dream of being Jedi Knights. Or at least you can add me to that category.

amindwalker

Forgetful omniscient
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2007
LECOM-Hoth, class of 2010, baby!
Status
Medical Student
I am a jedi, but in a Star Trek universe. Ooops, there I go again. Damn ADD!

MaximusD

Anatomically Incorrect
10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2006
State of Delirium
www.lmgtfy.com
Status
Attending Physician
Plenty of DO students turned down allopathic schools, so VA don't be silly. Allopaths are just mad they can't diagnose somatic dysfunction.
HA I KNOW YOU! B-CON nice what up man shouldn't you be studying cardiomyopathy?

REM12

10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
Status
Medical Student
All I can say is, :sleep:

I

Iquitos

From their website:

Students obtaining a M.D. (medical degree) from USAT does not mean that the degree will be accepted by licensing agencies or employers. Although USAT is IMED listed, it is not accredited at this time.

This is actually quite common. I know of an individual that did not go to med school but did go to another type of alied health school. After about 10 years of practice he paid a bunch of money to a carribean school and did a ton of "clinical" hours with doctors and they gave him an MD degree. Will he be board certified or licensed to practice? I doubt it.

Drawing Dead

10+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2008
Chicago
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Some really good points (and plenty of bad ones) on this thread. Let me start by saying I graduate from an Osteopathic school in a couple weeks, then I'm off to an Osteopathic residency, and I applied to only Osteopathic programs during the process. Sorry, I just don't want what I say next to be misconstrued.

I say this DO2MD thing is a good thing. What? Blasphemy you say? I say it's good because I'VE EARNED MY DEGREE! I've earned the right to carry the letters D.O. after my name. And all these fools want to change MY DEGREE? And I agree is is mostly pre-med and osteopathic medical students pushing for this thing, even though there are some physicians agreeing to it as well. And it was stated before, you want an M.D., you should have gone to an allopathic school. Don't change my letters because of your own selfish agenda. You want to be an M.D., but went to an Osteopathic school, use this website, but leave my degree alone.

And next year, I'm gonna be the John Hancock of the Osteopathic world, and sign my letters in size 72 font. That's how proud I am of what I've earned.

OnMyWayThere

OMS-III
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2003
The best coast (west coast)
Status
There is no way you will be a licensed MD in the U.S. through that program!! Please check with your state regulators to see if you'd be licensed before you wire $50,000 overseas. This sounds very similar to the Nigerian email who inherited $32,000,000 and is asking $150,000 in advance to send you half of his fortune :hardy:

Porco Rosso

10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
TX Longhorns
Status
Pre-Medical
anyone wanna call the registrant? here is the information on company it is registered to with contact/addresses.

Registrant:
Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com
15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: DOTOMD.COM
Created on: 31-May-06
Expires on: 31-May-12
Last Updated on:

Administrative Contact:
Private, Registration [email protected]
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
United States
(480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2599

Technical Contact:
Private, Registration [email protected]
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
United States
(480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2599

Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.LNHI.NET
NS2.LNHI.NET
NS3.LNHI.NET

Doctor

of Doctors
10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2006
Arctic
Status
Post Doc
Uh, Domains By Proxy is what is listed by GoDaddy when the registrant pays to keep their contact information private.

So you have no way of knowing who registered that domain.

DrWBD

Formerly 'wanna_be_do'
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
May 2, 1999
Long Island, NY USA
Status
Attending Physician
Maybe someone should call these guys :laugh:

About the Ads