DO tracked internships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swaamedic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could we start a list of the DO EM programs that offer a tracked internship into the EM program avoiding the double application? It's probly going to consist of about 2 programs...............

Finding information about DO programs with a tracked internship is like pulling teeth! I can't see why the AOA makes everything so damn difficult.

Members don't see this ad.

Doctors Hospital in Columbus, Ohio and UMDNJ in Stratford, NJ both are linked. Doctors has 8 linked spots a year and UMDNJ has begining this year 7 linked spots. Both programs have plus and minuses. Rotated at both so I can give you an honest opinion if needed.

Members don't see this ad :)
swaamedic said:
Could we start a list of the DO EM programs that offer a tracked internship into the EM program avoiding the double application? It's probly going to consist of about 2 programs...............

Finding information about DO programs with a tracked internship is like pulling teeth! I can't see why the AOA makes everything so damn difficult.

What exactly is a "tracked" internship?

OSUdoc08 said:
What exactly is a "tracked" internship?
Tracked or Linked is where you are signing a contract that is linked/tracked to a specific residency. In the DO world EM, Surgery, Orthopedics....basicly all specialties except for FP and IM must do a traditional rotating internship, it can have an emphasis in a certain areaor specialty. In the old days the programs would get to look at you for 6 mo then you had to apply again for your residency, so they could weed out those that didn't cut it, very resident unfriendly. Now you have a residency spot linked/tracked so you don't have to reapply for the residency spot.

vtach said:
Tracked or Linked is where you are signing a contract that is linked/tracked to a specific residency. In the DO world EM, Surgery, Orthopedics....basicly all specialties except for FP and IM must do a traditional rotating internship, it can have an emphasis in a certain areaor specialty. In the old days the programs would get to look at you for 6 mo then you had to apply again for your residency, so they could weed out those that didn't cut it, very resident unfriendly. Now you have a residency spot linked/tracked so you don't have to reapply for the residency spot.

Ok, I knew what a linked residency was, but I hadn't heard the term "tracked."

In that case, both of the Oklahoma AOA EM residencies are linked:

Tulsa Regional Medical Center, as Dr. Mom said, and
Integris Southwest Medical Center, Oklahoma City.

vtach said:
Doctors Hospital in Columbus, Ohio and UMDNJ in Stratford, NJ both are linked. Doctors has 8 linked spots a year and UMDNJ has begining this year 7 linked spots. Both programs have plus and minuses. Rotated at both so I can give you an honest opinion if needed.
For UMDNJ is that through OLL or Kennedy or do you rotate through both after link? I'd like to hear what you have to say about UMDNJ's program if you don't mind taking the time! Thanks.

mshheaddoc said:
For UMDNJ is that through OLL or Kennedy or do you rotate through both after link? I'd like to hear what you have to say about UMDNJ's program if you don't mind taking the time! Thanks.
In the Internship year you rotate through Lady of our Lourdes, and all 3 Kennedy divisions (Cherry Hill, Stratford, and Washington Township.) Residency is at the Kennedy and out rotations at Christana and Cooper, for Trauma, Peds and PICU.

I'm pretty sure St. Barnabas in the Bronx offers tracked EM positions. I could be wrong though. Check their website.

EM does NOT have any tracked internships. "Tracked" means that the internship counts as the first year of residency (FP, IM, some OB programs). EM is always three years plus internship. Many EM programs are linked to traditional internships in the same hospital or hospital system. The language gets confusing.

To search for DO Residencies... fill in the drop windows at

http://opportunities.aoa-net.org/cfm/OpSearch.cfm

To search for DO Internships tracking into DO residencies... fill in the drop windows at

http://opportunities.aoa-net.org/cfm/OpSearch_Internships.cfm

I dont know if this is what you are looking for or not. I am also confused about the EM "focused" Internships. They are often quoted as being tracked, but I dont know how correct that is. When I call and question the residency programs, there seems to be a great deal of shuffling of these EM Interns from program to programs, so maybe they are not tracked spots. I would appreciate clarification as well if anyone has a good explanation.

St. Lukes Bethleham in PA is a combined DO/MD program. I'm almost positive DO's can match with them for a 4 year committment which includes a rotating internship.