do u think ill get in this cycle with this list of schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otterpop

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You really need to add some more "back up" schools and middle level. Your stats are good but at or below average at many of the schools you are applying to. That is fine (especially if you have solid EC's which are very important) but you should have some more schools where your stats are considered very competative.

Also, this is not to be negative but Harvard and JHU.... with a 9 in verbal will almost certainly not happen. The average MCAT at both of those schools is a 37.

I thought harvard average was 35?

Either way your stats are much lower than most of the schools you have listed, there's only two schools you listed where you have a chance

Members don't see this ad :)
You definitely need more middle tier schools. I am likely going to have similar stats and I am applying to far less prestigious schools than you are.

Last edited:
I dunno, man, that list is still very reach-heavy. Georgetown, GW, and BU are always crapshoots due to the number of apps they get, so you can't count on them at all. Consider adding SLU, Wayne State, and maybe a few others.

Since you've got Rush and RFU, how about Loyola? It's not a safety per se, but it's a great school and you've got a good shot if you've done a good amount of volunteer work. And while I've certainly heard of CA residents getting interviews at UIC, it is bloody expensive to go there OOS, so I wouldn't question it if you decided not to apply there.

I agree with adding SLU, and how about looking into MCW, Rochester, UVM, Pitt, Penn State, MSSM, Albert Einstein, and Wake Forest? If a couple of those catch your fancy, might as well add them.

I think the odds are favoring you despite being from CA (i.e., if your essays are good and you interview well, you've got a decent shot at a CA school), but better safe than sorry! :luck:

Since you've got Rush and RFU, how about Loyola? It's not a safety per se, but it's a great school and you've got a good shot if you've done a good amount of volunteer work. And while I've certainly heard of CA residents getting interviews at UIC, it is bloody expensive to go there OOS, so I wouldn't question it if you decided not to apply there.

I agree with adding SLU, and how about looking into MCW, Rochester, UVM, Pitt, Penn State, MSSM, Albert Einstein, and Wake Forest? If a couple of those catch your fancy, might as well add them.

I think the odds are favoring you despite being from CA (i.e., if your essays are good and you interview well, you've got a decent shot at a CA school), but better safe than sorry! :luck:

Thanks a lot for your response.

I actually looked into Loyola, and I noticed that it is religion based. Am I correct? I think it's a Catholic school.

I think I will add SLU and maybe another school. This is getting costly though! And also, isn't Pitt really hard to get into? I think their average stats might be higher than mine. Otherwise, I'd love to apply there.

I applied in 2007-2008 with a slightly lower MCAT score, but my GPA was higher than yours. With that being said and hoping that your EC activities are plentiful, you have a good chance at landings interviews at:

U Colorado (Close to Cali)
UVA
Pitt
Michigan
DUKE

They may seem like a far reach, but if I was offered interviews, your chances are fairly reasonable. In the big picture you might consider your 32 a little below average but it's also important to consider the average per section in these schools. With the exception of Michigan (I believe ?), most interviewees average around an 11 in each section. I don't think being a point below average in a particular section, or even all sections, is that big of a deal. Your GPA compesantes for that. With a 3.9 and a 32, I think you're competetitive for most schools.

I applied in 2007-2008 with a slightly lower MCAT score, but my GPA was higher than yours. With that being said and hoping that your EC activities are plentiful, you have a good chance at landings interviews at:

U Colorado (Close to Cali)
UVA
Pitt
Michigan
DUKE

They may seem like a far reach, but if I was offered interviews, your chances are fairly reasonable. In the big picture you might consider your 32 a little below average but it's also important to consider the average per section in these schools. With the exception of Michigan (I believe ?), most interviewees average around an 11 in each section. I don't think being a point below average in a particular section, or even all sections, is that big of a deal. Your GPA compesantes for that. With a 3.9 and a 32, I think you're competetitive for most schools.

I appreciate your encouraging response.

U Colorado, UVA, and Michigan are all public schools, shouldn't they be very hard to get into from out of state? My advisor strongly advised against applying to out-of-state public schools; is he mistaken?

As for Pitt and Duke, isn't their average MCAT a 35? Do you think it's worth adding them?

I am OOS and received acceptances at Colorado and UVA. I chose UVA. Michigan is close to 50% OOS, and I'm not sure about Pitt. My MCAT was lower than yours, but I had done 2.5 years of research and was first author on a publication. I interviewed at both Pitt and DUKE. I was rejected afterwards from DUKE and waitlisted at Pitt.

I personally don't think it would be a waste of time. Write impressive essays. I think DUKE is very selective when it comes to diversity. Their secondary application is awfully tedious, but they give you a good opportunity to shine. If you are unique, you'll stand out and will be offered an interview. Their acceptance rates are one of the lowest, and I knew it would be an uphill battle, but it was an honor to interview at DUKE :p

Some other schools I applied interviewed at (you may consider them because our stats, on a numerical level, seem to be comparable)

UF, FSU (might be difficult since you're not a Floridian)
Miami (Jackson is the busiest Hospital in the nation; Private and the city of Miami is badass :p)
University of Alabama
Wake Forest

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your response.

I actually looked into Loyola, and I noticed that it is religion based. Am I correct? I think it's a Catholic school.

They're Jesuit, but no, you don't have to be religious at all to go there. From what little I know of the Jesuits, they're the educational branch of Catholicism. I spoke with a large number of students at Loyola, and they all agreed it wasn't remotely an issue (unless you want to be an obgyn and don't want to go to a school that doesn't train you in how to perform abortions). I'm an agnostic jew and felt I'd fit in there very well regardless. Oh, and I see you applied to Georgetown. If you read up more on it you'll see that it's a Jesuit school too.

I think I will add SLU and maybe another school. This is getting costly though! And also, isn't Pitt really hard to get into? I think their average stats might be higher than mine. Otherwise, I'd love to apply there.

I would add Pitt before Colorado. From what I've heard, it's really hard to get into Colorado OOS. Check out the stats in the MSAR for each of these schools. I would think you'd have a decent shot at Pitt, and I've heard great things about it. Then again, I don't remember the numbers. But honestly, it's not so cut and dried. You really are more than just a number. Check out my apps. A 30 and I got into Mayo? If you just go by pure numbers you may miss out on an amazing opportunity to attend a school you'd love.

And personally, I think your stats are great. If you've got a great personal statement, LORs and ECs, I think you could get into any number of great schools. How about trying Vandy, Wake Forest, MSSM, Albert Einstein, etc.? It may seem like a lot of money for applications, but if you can afford it, I think it's definitely worth it. You're likely only going to be applying once, so why not apply broadly and not have to worry or wonder what might have been?

Anyway, another school that's great and a good (i.e., safer) match if you're worried is UVM. Your stats are very competitive there, and it's a school that everyone (myself included) who interviewed there raved about. But you do need to be ok with living in a cold pretty remote place. I've heard good things about Rochester too.

And yes, you can add more schools to your primary at any time for $30 a pop.

SLU is also a jesuit school

They're Jesuit, but no, you don't have to be religious at all to go there. From what little I know of the Jesuits, they're the educational branch of Catholicism. I spoke with a large number of students at Loyola, and they all agreed it wasn't remotely an issue (unless you want to be an obgyn and don't want to go to a school that doesn't train you in how to perform abortions). I'm an agnostic jew and felt I'd fit in there very well regardless. Oh, and I see you applied to Georgetown. If you read up more on it you'll see that it's a Jesuit school too.

I would add Pitt before Colorado. From what I've heard, it's really hard to get into Colorado OOS. Check out the stats in the MSAR for each of these schools. I would think you'd have a decent shot at Pitt, and I've heard great things about it. Then again, I don't remember the numbers. But honestly, it's not so cut and dried. You really are more than just a number. Check out my apps. A 30 and I got into Mayo? If you just go by pure numbers you may miss out on an amazing opportunity to attend a school you'd love.

And personally, I think your stats are great. If you've got a great personal statement, LORs and ECs, I think you could get into any number of great schools. How about trying Vandy, Wake Forest, MSSM, Albert Einstein, etc.? It may seem like a lot of money for applications, but if you can afford it, I think it's definitely worth it. You're likely only going to be applying once, so why not apply broadly and not have to worry or wonder what might have been?

Anyway, another school that's great and a good (i.e., safer) match if you're worried is UVM. Your stats are very competitive there, and it's a school that everyone (myself included) who interviewed there raved about. But you do need to be ok with living in a cold pretty remote place. I've heard good things about Rochester too.

And yes, you can add more schools to your primary at any time for $30 a pop.

Thanks so much for responding again. Congratulations on getting into Mayo! I checked your mdapps and I must say you are an inspiration. You have great character and I'm sure you'll succeed not just as a doctor but as a human being in general. Thanks again for taking time out to help those of us who are just beginning this process, though you have just finished it.

I will add SLU, Loyola, Pitt, Duke, and call it a day. With that, I will have just spent every penny from my paycheck.