Do upper level psychology/sociology classes help with the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Babakthepersian

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I've already taken General Psychology and Sociology, but I have a question for you Psychology/Sociology majors, what classes do you think help you most for the MCAT in regards to Psychology and Sociology, do you believe General is enough, or do you think a couple more courses could help? If so which courses can help the most?

I've heard some goods thing about Biopsychology for the MCAT and for Med School, so thats definitely something interesting.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a neuroscience major, and I thought that our broad biopsychology class was very useful. Nothing that can't be learned during your content review, though!

I feel like I've recognized a sprinkling of terms and concepts on the MCAT, AAMC official guide, and AAMC sample test from all the sociology and psychology classes I've taken (did not major, just took 4 total classes I was interested in). I didn't take intro sociology and I only did AP Psychology like 7 years ago. However, in undergrad, I took one mid-level sociology class, two mid-level psych classes, and one high-level psych class. They were not majority MCAT-terminology-oriented, but just seeing ideas that could show up on the MCAT in a class before doing MCAT prep will not hurt you once you start your prep.

My point based on my experience: any sociology/psychology class will teach you at least a few terms that are on the MCAT. I don't know which specific classes are more high-yield for the MCAT, but like allantois said, you can learn it all through content review. And honestly, based on my and several others' perspectives on here and Reddit, no matter what amount of content review you do for these subjects, you will likely still see some terms or -ologist that you've never seen. I also agree that a bio-oriented psych course will help; I took a neuro-behavior psych class 3 years ago. I don't remember much specifics from the class, but I know it aided my recognition with several terms!

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly think that taking epidemiology helped me a lot on this section. I was very comfortable with experimental design, bias, etc. Otherwise, you can learn anything from content review. I only took intro psych (and remembered none of it), but managed a 85-100% prelim score using only TPR, EK and Khan Academy.

Totally concur on biopsych class. I took one in grad school and it was a huge help for nervous system function, perception, cognition, etc. I haven't gotten prelim yet though so take it with a grain of salt.

If anything, upper level Psych/Soc classes would probably have more exposure to sociological and psychological journal articles than intro, which would be great prep for the passages and interpreting results.

Reactions: 1 user